Modern scope usage

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

A Atwood

Modern scope usage

Post by A Atwood »

Does anyone use a modern scope for load development purposes? Or is this just blasphemy? The scope would come off after load development, then back to irons.
If so, how are you mounting the optic?
Thanks
semtav

Re: Modern scope usage

Post by semtav »

Did a long time ago with my 40-65. Found out I could cut my group size in half so now I just factor me into the equation.

Getting or making the right mounts is the hardest part.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Blasphemy. Stick an MVA or DZ Arms scope on there. Then you can shoot with it all the time.

Chris.
A Atwood

Post by A Atwood »

gunlaker wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:26 pm Blasphemy. Stick an MVA or DZ Arms scope on there. Then you can shoot with it all the time.

Chris.
I really on want to shoot with irons for now. I have plenty of rifles with high dollar scopes on them for that. I’m only referring to load development as I feel my skill with the iron sight will interfere with sorting out the best loads.
Thanks though.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Steve Earle Products sells a scope adapter base that bolts to the bases used for old style external scope spacing, so you don't need to go nuts drilling and tapping for different era scope mounts. That's the route I'd take as then if you decide to step up to a quality old style scope later the holes will already be there.
A Atwood

Post by A Atwood »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:13 pm Steve Earle Products sells a scope adapter base that bolts to the bases used for old style external scope spacing, so you don't need to go nuts drilling and tapping for different era scope mounts. That's the route I'd take as then if you decide to step up to a quality old style scope later the holes will already be there.
Thanks! That’s the kind of information I’m looking for. I’ll check in to it!
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

I'm curious at what distance you're doing load development. If it's at say...400 yards, I don't know if a modern scope would have the elevation adjustment needed. It might be a good idea to mount a external adjustable scope for your load development then take it off. Your rifle will be then be ready for a legal scope when ever you need it.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
A Atwood

Post by A Atwood »

Dennis Armistead wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:38 pm I'm curious at what distance you're doing load development. If it's at say...400 yards, I don't know if a modern scope would have the elevation adjustment needed. It might be a good idea to mount a external adjustable scope for your load development then take it off. Your rifle will be then be ready for a legal scope when ever you need it.
Dennis
Most all testing would be done at 100-300 yds.