Loading a 40-85 Ballard

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

AK Ballard 40-90

Loading a 40-85 Ballard

Post by AK Ballard 40-90 »

Good evening, new to this group. I have acquired a 40-85 Ballard No.5 Pacific. It was an original chambered in 40-63. I had it completely worked over by the folks at Wyoming Armory. They relined the barrel and rechambered the rifle to 40-85. I have acquired .408" Diameter 370 Grain Lubed Hand Cast Lead Bullets, 40-85 Ballard (AKA 40-90 Ballard) Reformed* Reloadable Brass Cases (all from Buffalo Arms Company), Primers, dies, and 1.5-F Swiss Caviar Ball Black Powder.
I believe I measured my COLA at 3.65". Without a drop tube and expanded case I can fit 87 grains of the 1.5 Swiss. I have .060" Vegetable Fiber Wads.
I am completely new to reloading black powder cartridges so I have these questions.
1. I have seen some recommendation of placing a thin wad over the primer. Is that necessary?
2. With the bullet I have, I would have to seat it to a depth of .485" to achieve the COLA I have measured. How does that relate to the overall compression of the powder? Should I set my initial powder load (say to 84-85 grains) so that my overall compression would be less. How much should I compress the load before seating the bullet?
3. With the powder I have do I need to use a drop tube?

Appreciate your advice. Thank you in advance.
desert deuce

Re: Loading a 40-85 Ballard

Post by desert deuce »

A good start would be listing where you live as there may be someone close by that can get you on the right track and shoot with you.
Suspecting you will eventually discover that you have a tiger by the tail (the first time you pull the trigger) that is not exactly a plinking cartridge.
Need to know what you intend to do with the rifle? Silhouette, target, gongs, big game, tin cans, buttercups in the spring, etc ?
The original Pacific sights, if in good shape, could get you hunting accuracy to 200 yards if you are a decent shot and not recoil sensitive.
Fouling control will be an evolutionary learning process for that much powder, but necessary none the less.
Should be fun if you don't expect instant success.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
AK Ballard 40-90

I live in Southeast Alaska on Prince of Wales Island. I know of no one on the Island that actively loads and shoots black powder cartridge rifles. I have hunted and shot traditional muzzleloading rifles for over 40 years and have shot many black powder cartridge rifles. I understand that this Ballard may have a bit of a kick to it. :D I understand the process that is ahead working up a load and sighting in the rifle. I plan to primarily hunt with this rifle. I am asking these questions here since I do not have a local mentor to guide me through the process. Thank you.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

AK,
Do not worry about your question #1; that is more of a fine tuning adjustment.
You will have time to try out all sorts of things once you get the rifle shooting.
#2; use a compression plug to get the powder level to 0.485" into the case [for your COLA]
Fill the case to at least that height to start load testing. Then increase a couple of grains and test again.
#3; I think the drop tube gets a uniform compaction in the case, as opposed to pouring the powder into the case.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
AK Ballard 40-90

Thank you Mike T...looking forward to testing the first rounds. Appreciate your advice.