Which Black Powder for 45-110

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DL

Which Black Powder for 45-110

Post by DL »

Okay the Subject line says it all. This will be my first reloading of BP. I'm used to smokeless and understand that each firearm will show what it likes the most. So here's the question again. Which BP would you recommend for 45-110?
A person without honor is nothing. Retirement is like winning the lottery! And recess without the bell...
RMulhern

Which powder?

Post by RMulhern »

Frankly...if Goex 1F shot any better.....I couldn't stand it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Dear DL

A friend of mine with a Quigley 110 uses only Goex Fg.
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Ditto, Ditto. You will be amazed how clean that Goex 1F burns in the 110. The secret though is compress a lot .300 or better to get it to burn clean and shoot the best.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
don marable

Post by don marable »

DL:

To paraphase Sharpsman, I can't imagine a better powder than Goex Fg for the 45-110.

When I acquired my first ever BP rifle this past Christmas, Rdnck was kind enough to get me started. He really put me up the learning curve with reloading tips and how to use the blow tube and "run the gun." This information has been so valuable. But, maybe his greatest gift was his steadfast reliance on Goex Fg.

Not only does Goex Fg shoot accurately, it is the easiest cleanup after shooting that you can imagine. Six patches will make the bore shine like new money.

Buy Goex Fg, and as they say, "wear it in good health."

Don
DL

Post by DL »

Thank you all. Looks like I'll be shopping for Goex Fg.

Buffalocannon: Where in AZ are you located? I'm just outside of Tucson.
A person without honor is nothing. Retirement is like winning the lottery! And recess without the bell...
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Hope no one minds if I add a question to this thread..kinda ties in...Getting my first rifle in a week or two..45/70..I have a supply of Goex 2F, and 3F..Would 2F be a better starting powder with 45/70?
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
deerhuntsheatmeup

yes 2f

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Pour 70 grains down a drop tube and compress it .330-.350 and seat a postell bullet and watch what happens........ffg

Good Luck, David Barfield
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

wwben47, start with 2F. Ditto what David said, Goex 2F burns so clean in his gun it looks like smokeless.
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Thanks for the tips!..You guys have no idea how helpful this site and your patience is! Thanks also to Shiloh for making it available...Now if my nerves will just hold out till the rifle gets here!
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

ben,

And this too shall pass. :wink:

Just wait for the excitement you will feel when Miss Lucinda tells you your rifle is going to the floor. That is when you really start counting down the days.
Lee Stone