Which Mould For A .50-70 Springfield ?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Re: Which Mould For A .50-70 Springfield ?

Post by bobw »

I am sure that shiloh is 1 in 36 have both a 50 tgbs and an adj Steve Brooks mold about the same, the noses duplicate the original 473 gr. Right now the tgbs is set at 520 and the Brooks mold at 462 gr about a 1/10" of an inch longer than the 515141 bullet. I will adj the molds till both are set to thro bullets at 473 grs and load them like Sharps did.. I bought the gun second hand and the original owner only used ppb's out of that Brooks mold he sent me targets with dang nice groups on them from that gun and those bullets. While I have a 515141 mold I'll be damned if I pollute the barrel with greasers. Yeah I said that. bobw
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

1.054" at 464.1 grs 1 in 30 alloy Steve Brooks adj mold. Bobw
bobw
Notchy Bob

Post by Notchy Bob »

Thank you, one and all. I appreciate the information. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you all.

I did a little research in the interim, and what I found confirms much of what you guys have said. The closest currently available moulds to the original government standard bullet appear to be the Lyman 515141 and the Lee 515-450F. I don't doubt that there are some fine custom moulds out there, but I don't know enough about this to order one at this point. The Lyman mould seems very hard to get right now, but the Lee mould is readily available.

I'm learning from comments here and elsewhere that the Lee mould drops a slightly larger bullet, which I understand may be desirable for an old Springfield. I'll probably get the Lee mould for a start.

I do not have the rifle in my hands at this time. It is in the family collection, with another family member. I do plan to slug the bore when I get the rifle.

Again, thank you all for the helpful and informative comments!

Notchy Bob
rkaires

Post by rkaires »