How do you store lubed bullets?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Doc10039

How do you store lubed bullets?

Post by Doc10039 »

I have been using styrofoam trays but the bullets get a funky white grunge on them. I am thinking of doing small cardboard boxes with bullets on the bottom flat with cardboard on top to set the next rows of bullets to be stored. Just curious to see what the norm is. Thanks.
SchuetzenDave

Re: How do you store lubed bullets?

Post by SchuetzenDave »

I store my cast bullets in the hard plastic inserts from pistol ammo boxes or use MTM ammo boxes.

I stored the lubed ones in the freezer so the lube is fresh when removed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

These trays, although they’re out of stock at the moment.

https://www.amazon.com/Caliber-Universa ... _ba_s_1_sc

Also, I don’t lube bullets until I’m ready to load them. I don’t want lubed up bullets sitting around on the bench or in storage. I want the lube to be nice and fresh when I load it.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

When we used to SnowBird in Phoenix I would pre-lube in October and place them in Styrofoam trays and then tightly wrap with Clingwrap. They would be used over the course of the winter and accuracy did not suffer doing it this way. Some of my bullets have two grooves exposed and they appeared fresh when loaded as required.

I agree under normal circumstances I do not pre-lube. Having said that I have shot loads that have been loaded as much as two years previous after storing in a cool, dark basement store room. I have a small tub of bullet lube I take with me and just prior to going to the line I rub a patch on the lube and then clean the nose of the bullet with the patch. Once again I saw no decrease in accuracy doing it this way.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

I store mine in the lead pot to melt for slicks for paper patch.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

You know me Mike, I know you. We shot together on The Hill more than once. When did you go over to the dark side? That was a bit of put down wasn't it? No need for that here.

Paul
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

I store my cast bullets in plastic pistol boxes. I do not lube until I am ready to load my cases. I pore my lube in a small muffin tin to make small lube pucks. Then I us my food saver vacuum machine to suck the air out of the storage bags to keep the lube pucks fresh and ready for the next melt.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Since lead/tin alloy bullets will age soften I store my 16:1 unlubed bullet in the freezer to possibly stop or at least slow the softening. I've intended to run an experiment to determine what effect freezing has on the hardness but haven't got around to it.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Hi Paul, nope, no “put down” intended, GG shooters rule and one can’t argue with success. Hope our paths will cross again as I enjoyed shooting with you. Hopefully this is the year I’ll finally get back to the shoots at Big Hill and Forsyth, it’s been to long.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Good to hear you're on the road back Mike and at this time our plans include the shoots on The Hill. Hope to see you there.

You be well now,

Paul
Doc10039

Post by Doc10039 »

Thanks to all for posting. Most of my bullets will be used in cowboy action matches. I am going to dump the styrofoam and go with cartridge boxes as I have plenty.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I store my lubed bullets inside custom brass tubes. They don't stay there very long though.

Wayne,

Yes tin/lead alloys age soften, but they do it within 2 to 3 weeks of casting and then are basically stable. Before this posting, I again searched for info, and no benefit in heat treatment or cold treatment of these alloys. Antimony alloys are a totally different story and that information is readily available too.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

I store mine in cardboard boxes that hold 352 per box and lube when needed normally used with in 3 months not worried about the time hardening or softening as i have found no difference as time goes on. When i cast in do it for about 10 hours a day for about a week straight by then i have had my fill of casting till next winter lol i have over 20 thousand cast on the shelf now so should be good for a while lol