First Rifle..45/70 or 40/90?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Dang Bombay!..If I get the "fever" like you have, I will have to give up retirement and take two jobs to support my habit! (Course it may be too late..Talked to Ben tonight about ordering me another one..#1 in 45/70) :wink:
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
Bombay club

45-70,or 45-90

Post by Bombay club »

:D I say better Shiloh fever than Disco fever! (my knees could'nt keep up)
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

We used to hunt just west of where they're building the new Cabelas outside of Wheeling. This area is now unavailable. I have several other places that I can hunt over there. I'm probably going to a friends farm down in Hundred this coming season.

I spend quite a bit of time in New Martinsville with my job. Give me a PM if your heading up this way we'll get together and shoot the Sharps. I have over 400 yards in my backyard if the hay is cut. There is also an NRA Silohette range about an hour from home.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Bombay..I know "zackly" what you mean about the knees!..Just got back from a last minute trout fishing trip..Apparently some villian sneaked in here last night and stuck some ole man`s legs and ankles on my youthful bod!

Buckeye, I appreciate the invite!..You guys will have to bear with me a while..I am so excited about getting this first rifle, and i have so much to learn I probably will drive everyone nuts for a while...Ive never seen a silouette range..Come to think of it..Ive never fired four hundred yards either!..Would I be better off buying some factory loads to get to shoot first, or should i buy some brass and full length it and load with a "starter load?
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Lee..Hope you will forgive my manners..That is a beautiful rifle!..You do any duck chasin?

Buckeye..It would be further to travel..but if in the future yall are interested, Westvaco sometimes has parcels for lease..Right now I hunt out of a camp with a private 2500 acre lease..but a friend asked yesterday if i was interested in a share of a 1200 on westvaco land..It is strictly backwoods hunting..No 4 wheelers but most is accesible by truck.
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

It's tough waiting for that Shiloh I know, waiting on my 3rd right now. It's on the floor being built. Actually it was the first Shiloh I ordered and have bought 2 more while waiting for it. That one will give me a 45-70 and 2 45-110's plus I have a 40-70SS on order that should be built sometime next year. Gotta warn you they are contagious. You will always want another.

That land lease deal sounds interesting, I suppose if you get a few guys together it would be fairly affordable. Although I really don't hunt a whole lot anymore. I prefer to shoot targets these days more. I would like to bag one whitetail with one of the Sharps though.

As far as shells go I would just get some cases and some bullets and load up a few so you can shoot it when you get it. A load that I've been shooting in my 45-70 that works real well is W-W brass full length sized loaded with 72 grains of Goex 2F a .060 poly wad and a Saeco 745 530 grain bullet seated with all grease grooves covered. This gives me about .260 compression. By the way I use a 32" drop tube to drop my powder. If you don't have a compression die make sure you call Buffalo Arms and order one before you do any black powder loading. If you need any help PM me with your phone # and I'll give you a call.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

wwben47,

Thanks on the rifle. As you will see when you get yours, Shiloh only builds beautifully.

No, I have never cared for duck or goose hunting, even though I live in serious duck hunting country. I just never could equate getting up at 3:00 in the morning to go out and freez my body in a muddy, wet and probably windy duck blind with fun. Besides, I do not care for the taste of wild water fowl, and if I am not going to eat it, I sure as heck will not shoot it. The forgoing sentiment does not apply to my target shooting though. :roll:
Lee Stone
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Lee...If ya look at a flyway map..we are right in the middle of a big empty hole...Almost all "River" hunting...So small flights of teal, mallards and woodys...I have to agree with you on the taste of ducks..except with a sauce...then its yummy...But goose cooked to medium rare and sliced as thin as possible is some kinda good eatin! I used to have a Grumann canoe painted camo with the name "Titanic" on the bows. I learned a lot from that canoe..mainly about swimming in ice water.