.22 barrel liner conversion

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Perentie

.22 barrel liner conversion

Post by Perentie »

I read about you guys shooting .22 with a conversion liner. I tried to buy one but they wont export.
Back in the day when we could buy stuff from the USA I got a couple of liners to put in a couple of boys rifles with knackered bores but not got around to it. I was wondering if one of these could be used as a conversion in my 40 or 45 cal.
Any ideas on how it could be done? Or any links to internet info on how to do it?
Keith
Perentie

Re: .22 barrel liner conversion

Post by Perentie »

I see posts on renewing the rubber on the Crossno , so the liner must sit central to the bore.
Now the breech end has to be offset so the .22 rim is hit with the firing pin. This means there has to be a slight bend in the liner. I was thinking before that the liner was offset all the way down the barrel but apparently not.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

I see from this topic that the bend is permanent and can be seen when the liner is out.

https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopi ... 16#p315016
bobw

Post by bobw »

The Crossno 40-65 liner to 22lr will also work in a 40 -70 bn chamber they are both 2.1" long. The liner is packed in a pvc tube with caps. The liner has a rubber coating on the outside with 7 evenly spaced sections about 1/2" long that are slightly larger than bore dia.. included is a small pkg of a high temp silicon grease. You put this grease on those bore riding sections to insert the liner and it helps to ease the removal of it. The liner has a false muzzle that a plug fits into which you then push the liner out when you are ready to go back to ctr fire. The extractor cut is oriented at 12 o'clock you use a small flat blade screwdriver (included) to flick out the empty. The liner for the 45-70 works the same way. Shiloh used to sell these liners but I don't know if they still do. I don't know about importing or exporting rules. Ask JB he got some kinda paper work to bring home an original 44-77 I bought him. Bobw
bobw
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Here's a thread to give you some idea what the liner looks like.
https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26389

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks Wayne, I found that thread too. Probably have enough info now to get my gunsmith to make one.
I would have bought either of the conversions but they are not allowed to export. Getting them in is another story again.
Hope to get down to NSW and shoot with JB and Gamerancher at their Buffalo Rifle Assn of Australia Range this season.

Keith
Minerat

Post by Minerat »

I have been reading the posts on the .22 liners and am wondering about the accuracy one can get from them. I know this is a little off topic but need to know can you be compteive, assuming you do your part, using them in .22 BPCR silhouette?

I just got a 1894 SS .45-90 in October and the cases last month. I'm trying to find an alternative to shooting BP loads or using smokeless that will get me more time behind the gun, being a cheapskate too. I may even venture north to Smithmoor to try my hand in their shoots.
Steve,

NRA Life Member
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Short answer , yes on the liners being match worthy, and Smithmoor is a great place to shoot, with lots of friendly helpful folks..
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

Yes they are competitive. I have placed in the top 5 two times. You have to find out what ammo they like, then you are good to go.
bobw

Post by bobw »

DAG 4570 yours like Norma TAC and blue box federal std vel? Bobw
bobw
Minerat

Post by Minerat »

Looks like I'm going down that rabbit hole. Thanks guys for the replies and information.
Steve,

NRA Life Member
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

bobw

That is correct. Except it is Norma TAC and SK Rifle Match. This is my second liner as I had a warranty problem with the first and they replaced it no questions asked. The first liner liked the Norma TAC but the second likes the SK. I will be trying some Eley here soon. There isn't any available here in Spokane so my Son picked up some for me in Missoula the other day. I have to wait until I drive over to see him and the grand kids. Then the testing will start. I us it in a Shiloh LRE 74 in 45-70.

Dave
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

anyone use the lee shaver insert do you like it? thanks art
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

They can shoot very well with the right ammo. Here are ten shots at 100m with my Crossno liner. RWS Rifle Match.

That's a Canadian quarter but its the same size as an American one.

Mine likes any relatively expensive ammo. TenX, CenterX, Midas+, RWS 50, RWS Rifle Match

I've mostly used it out of a couple of highwalls. For some reason, depending on the rifle its it, the ammo preference changes a bit.

Chris.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Can anyone confirm they have a slight bend in them. As far as we can see the breech end would have to be parallel to the bore for headspace, then bend down to bore centre then back again to be parallel with centre bore. Or are they straight and just take up the bends as they are screwed in.
I think the latter as they have to rotate as inserted, but someone in a previous post said he looked through his and it was bent slightly.

Keith