Load development

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: Load development

Post by semtav »

That would be April 1 I hope !!
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Load development :?: I hear and read a lot about it.. and endeavour to 'have a go' each year. Usually if someone asks me what my load development for a given match is... I'd say the results from the same match the preceding year :shock: Probably not a scientific approach :roll: Just noting Deadeye's enquiries about Swiss powder and Shadow's ( complete with lasso ) offers of assistance :wink: Primers are few and far between down here currently and I think the shortage has been more to do with someone saying there was 'going to be a shortage' ...sort of a self fulfilling prophecy really. People who shoot 1000 primers in two years were suddenly buying lots of 5000 or more. Bit like the toilet paper fiasco of a few years ago. :lol: .. Picked up 1000 Fed LR mag/match for $241 aud ( $160 usd) and was told my next lot of BR2's..if they ever get any will likely be over $330 aud ( $217 usd). We'll pay it of course because we dont have a choice but its hard to build a buffer at inflated prices. My last Swiss ( at least I was able to get it ) was a month ago at $165 aud a kg..or roughly $49-50 usd per lb. Wano has been the more accessible powder down here and while it works fine, it is noticeably down on performance when compared to Swiss or O.E. It used to be a lot cheaper than Swiss too but its bridging the gap at an alarming rate. :(
rgds.. J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

HI well you talk about inflated prices :lol: :lol: Primers up here in Canada well at least LR primers of any kind are extremely hard to find and are going for $500 to $1000 dollars per 1000 primers right now and are still hard to find at that. Things are going crazy and try and find black powder as well it is almost non existent as well i hope things get back to normal soon i would like to start shooting a lot more butt i am afraid this is not going to change for a long time hope i am wrong on that guess :!: :!: take care stay safe and have fun shooting :!: :!:
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Well I'll happily take a back seat to those prices :shock: Clearly while I'm paying a lot more than I should be.... I'm still paying a lot less than I 'could
be'. :( ..Must be a Commonwealth thing. Paying for 'privilege' ..and all that :wink: If there's a buck to be made, someone will always make it. Pretty sure Fed, CCI etc arent reaping the same level of $$ benefits for their product as some of the on-sellers. :roll:

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Gidday to you Gavin,

Will we be together in June?

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

A rhetorical question is: Does anyone really believe this primer, powder, brass, ammo shortage all hitting at the same time a coincidence?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

It's because Canada is resupplying after giving everything we had to the Ukraine and then announcing to the world that we're out of ammo. :lol: :lol: Duh? Come and get us, we can't shoot back. In a report yesterday it was stated that we have given more to the Ukraine than we have spent on our own defense in the last year. Our military can't get recruits and under the present government the emphasis in basic training is on 'wokeness'. I seriously doubt if our Defense Minister, Anita, has ever touched a firearm.

Sorry DD, I just had to get that out. To answer your question I believe that to some extent just like in 2008 the shortage is due to a self-fulfilling prophecy, somebody says shortage and everybody rushes out and buys more than they need or use. I also believe that at the rate they're burning up ammo in the Ukraine that is a priority for suppliers. Government contracts are lucrative, right? But the shortage began before the war and that may be the result of a little corporate greed. Wait, as stated we had the problem in 2008 with Obummer and now again in 2020 with Biden. Do you think it could be politically driven?

Paul
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Personally I think it was a perfect storm. Consequences intended or not...
Combine the fantastic efforts of a political party to be the best firearms and ammo sales folks ever, with the poor management of various component manufacturer's, then throw in the beuqacratic attempt at a governmental take over, also commonly referred to as the "Covid" pandemic. Businesses and factories shutdown with little to no production going on and at the same time millions of people sitting at home drawing government funded paychecks, and there ya go. Shortage in the making.
Yes covid is real, and yes it was a biological warfare attack, and yes it had catastrophic consequences.

Yes I am a pureblood, and yes it is a part of my permanent record I refused the shot...and yes I survived it when I contracted it before it became a convenient way to eliminate a president. Never been so sick in my life, but natural immunity is a thing..
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bobw

Post by bobw »

Started hearing about c-19 in December of 19 with the government ,AMA, CDC, etc wringing their hands and saying no cure blah blah. I started my own reading into c-19 to come up with a plan to combat it. Spent a lot of time on the internet , one day in Feb of 20 I saw 2 different references of the use of Ivermectin in successful treatment. The 2nd reference included the FLCCC internet site as a group working with Ivermectin. They were doing something instead of wringing their hands and acting like the whining political fugs . I went out to Runnings and bought 2 tubes of Ivercare ivermectin with NO extra ingredients $5.47 a tube. I figured it was better to take a chance with horse warmer than do nothing approach that the CDC and AMA fugs suggested. State employees were sent home in early March myself included but I couldn't take care of my work from home so I came in every day took care of what had to be done. My boss didn't have a problem with that after I told him you get c-19 from infected people and if no one is here I don't have to worry about being infected. He immediately grinned and shut up about as well as kept his distance as well as other essentials in the bldg. The DOT is open to action 24/7/365.
Everyday I took a mens+50 multi vitamin, 1000mg C, vitamins, Zinc to keep my immune function at its best. I thought the retarded mask mandates were just a gov't exercise to check their control of the populace total bullshit. I retired in early May and a week later got covid. It was bad on the 3rd day sicker than you can imagine I took my 1st dose of Ivermectin at 6pm, fell asleep at 9pm and woke at 2am ,102.5 degree fever gone , lungs and sinuses clearing, body aches declining. Drank a couple of glasses of water and went back to bed waking at 8 am feeling a 100% better with very few symptoms. It took a week to get to normal. When I took the 1st dose my smell and taste function were about gone. They came back quick. I worked partime for the DOT so the testing would not get behind till 7/6 when my replacement came on. A hail storm in May and another in June mandated a new roof, bunch of windows, and siding for my house. I did it all myself. One 5.47 cent tube of ivercare ivermectin allowed me to survive c-19 and resume an ordinary life. In October I got c-19 again took the Ivercare again stopping it in it's tracks. This time after a few days I went to emergency care to see if they could do anything to improve my recovery rate. The rn asked me what was wrong and I told her I have c-19 they tested me twice and came up positive both times. They x rayed my lungs and he said you also have pneumonia. I told him I knew that and he said how's that? Well it's not the first time I've went through that. He said it was the lightest symtom case of c-19 he'd seen. I looked him in the eye and told him I had it in May and came through it with Ivermectin and used it again this time. Things got pretty quiet in the exam room. No shots , no prescriptions when we walked out of there he did a 360° scan for listeners and told me I had allready done more for myself than he was allowed to do for his patients. He grinned and said rest and keep hydrated. Lot of people died from c-19 , it's after effects and/ or the treatment they received for it. One of life's lessons I guess. I for one have lost a lot of respect for the med profession controlled by gov't agencies and corporate structures. You need to make your own decisions not listen to self appointed experts, seek your own answers whether it's a med cure or loading your own bp ammo. NO I never let them stick a needle in me either nor will I. bobw
bobw
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

DeadEye wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:20 am It's because Canada is resupplying after giving everything we had to the Ukraine and then announcing to the world that we're out of ammo. :lol: :lol: Duh? Come and get us, we can't shoot back. In a report yesterday it was stated that we have given more to the Ukraine than we have spent on our own defense in the last year. Our military can't get recruits and under the present government the emphasis in basic training is on 'wokeness'. I seriously doubt if our Defense Minister, Anita, has ever touched a firearm.

Sorry DD, I just had to get that out. To answer your question I believe that to some extent just like in 2008 the shortage is due to a self-fulfilling prophecy, somebody says shortage and everybody rushes out and buys more than they need or use. I also believe that at the rate they're burning up ammo in the Ukraine that is a priority for suppliers. Government contracts are lucrative, right? But the shortage began before the war and that may be the result of a little corporate greed. Wait, as stated we had the problem in 2008 with Obummer and now again in 2020 with Biden. Do you think it could be politically driven?

Paul
As much as I dislike Turdo, I think we've been underfunding our military for my entire adult life. Even Harper, who was the best prime minister we've had in some time didn't put enough priority on it. I guess we are waiting for the communists to start taking our northern territory before we get serious.

As far as primers go it is pretty nasty up here. I see a lot fewer of the regulars up at the range, I suspect they are conserving their components. I was at the local gun store the other day and one of the guys told me they had no match 223 projectiles come in for a year. Certainly primers have been gone from their shelves for at least that long.

Chris.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Is the shoot on this year at Hefley Creek, Chris?
bobw

Post by bobw »

If you came down to a match in the US is it again the rules to go home with primed and charged cases? Just curious..mb
bobw
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Our son spent 22 years in the Canadian Army Armored Division. After serving in Germany, Kosovo, Croatia and Serbia they wanted to send him to Afghanistan, he pulled his papers. During one NATO exercise in Manitoba involving Germany and England our forces were allotted 30 blank rounds for a three day exercise. Upon first sighting of an 'enemy' they emptied the clip and spent the rest of the exercise jumping up as they pulled the trigger on their laser fitted rifle and yelling "government cut back, government cut back" at the enemy. A real morale booster.

Paul
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

We may take home any unused ammo that we bring down but may not purchase any to take home, ask me how I know. We may purchase for use in country.

Paul
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

DeadEye wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:03 pm Is the shoot on this year at Hefley Creek, Chris?
Yessir. I haven't got a match flyer yet but I'm sure it's on or I'd have heard something.

Chris.