16lb. Bull Bbl. Shiloh #3 45-100

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: 16lb. Bull Bbl. Shiloh #3 45-100

Post by gunlaker »

Yeah if you are shooting bore diameter paper patched bullets you want a lot of that bullet riding on top of the lands. Often the bullet is only 0.1" in the case.

Chris.
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

semtav wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:29 pm I meant patching to groove/bore.
I'd like to patch to bore.
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

gunlaker wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:31 pm Yeah if you are shooting bore diameter paper patched bullets you want a lot of that bullet riding on top of the lands. Often the bullet is only 0.1" in the case.

Chris.
WOW! 0.1" in case seems scary but guess not!
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

BlackJack wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:39 pm
gunlaker wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:31 pm Yeah if you are shooting bore diameter paper patched bullets you want a lot of that bullet riding on top of the lands. Often the bullet is only 0.1" in the case.

Chris.
WOW! 0.1" in case seems scary but guess not!
I only seat .086 in one of my rifles, its only used for target use though. Ohh and no crimp on that either.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Don McDowell wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:35 pm Blackjack fiber and poly both work . It's mostly a matter of what you the rifle and the target agree on.
I get the Seth Cole paper on Amazon. The 55w measures around .018 just a touch thinner than the 9 lb papers, but a bit thicker than the 7 lb.
Staring charge with the grease groove will be what ever amount of powder it takes so that when the bullet is seated it's in firm contact with the wad, which is in firm contact with the powder. Slip fit in fireformed cases generally works best.
If you don't have one you may want to get a compression die (shiloh sells a good one) to seat the wad and compress the powder with, as doing so with just the bullet will likely deform the bullet nose and that will deal you tons of fits.
I believe BobW said somewhere above that under the forearm the barrel will be stamped if it has a paper patch chamber might not hurt to drop the forearm and take a look.
Ps. I don't know if Staples still sells it or not but they have/had an 8 lb roll paper in their drafting supplies that is almost identical to the 55w. If you have one close by might not hurt to pop in and see if they have it.
Hello Don, did take forearm off NO stamping of being PPB chamber all I noticed is bedded, cal., 5U and S/N🤔
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

BlackJack,
If you will be loading PP bullets, I suggest you get a push through sizing die to make sure all of your patched bullets are of a uniform diameter. Normally, when I select a bullet mould for PP, I go with a mould that is sure to produce a bullet slightly larger than the optimum diameter I want too patch. Then after patching the bullet, I size them to get the exact diameter I need. The paper thickness does not have to be critical either, when using a sizing die.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

MikeT wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:52 am BlackJack,
If you will be loading PP bullets, I suggest you get a push through sizing die to make sure all of your patched bullets are of a uniform diameter. Normally, when I select a bullet mould for PP, I go with a mould that is sure to produce a bullet slightly larger than the optimum diameter I want too patch. Then after patching the bullet, I size them to get the exact diameter I need. The paper thickness does not have to be critical either, when using a sizing die.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Thanks MikeT :D Thats what I'm aiming at but won't know 'till I get info on my bull bbl. specs :?
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

My experience has been that if you want to know actual dimensions of a barrel or chamber, that you need to measure it, not rely on nominal dimensions or measurements of someone else's barrel.
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Aviator wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:13 pm My experience has been that if you want to know actual dimensions of a barrel or chamber, that you need to measure it, not rely on nominal dimensions or measurements of someone else's barrel.
Hello Aviator, not really really relying on someone else's bull bbl. I have sent a msg. to Kirk a couple of days ago.Been getting replies that the "Bulls" are slightly different. Not doing anything 'till I hear back.
drcook

Post by drcook »

Years ago when Mr Faldowski helped me get into the sport, I made myself a cartridge overall length checker (for grease groove bullets) with a 3/8" dia wooden dowel and 2 nylon spacers.

You drill set screws into the spacers.
Put the spacers on the dowel, drop the dowel down the barrel until the end is on the breechblock.
Hold both spacers against the muzzle.
Tighten the set screw on the outside spacer.
Then remove dowel and put a bullet (not a cartridge) into the chamber and gently hold it as far as it will go in, I use a old fashioned nbr 2 pencil.
Then put the dowel back in and slide down until it touches the bullet nose.
Once again run just the inside spacer up against the muzzle and tighten the set screw.
The distance in between the spacers is the cartridge OAL to just touch the lands.

such as these

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-Coun ... rs/3012467

For your reference, I shoot a 540 gr Paul Jones Creedmore. I use 98 gr of Goex 2F compressed to be able to seat the bullet just off the lands, using the method above. I use .060 LDPE wads and a paper wad between it and the bullet base. Yes the powder is compressed a lot. I just had to play with it.

This method has worked well for me using grease grooved bullets.
We thought about it for a long time Endeavor to persevere. And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Hello drcook, and Thanks for the interesting info! The nylon spacers are like candy I use them things like eating peanuts you can't just have one LOL😆! I've made several different calibers of test cartridges over the years simular to the Hornady kit. I just drilled out the primer hole of the case installed nylon spacer on the threaded screw (to protect base of bullet) and works pretty good for achieving the oal. Like your idea will have to make me a set for a second measurement! I'm planning on loading 45-100 500 pp with Swiss 1.5F (just received a few days ago) plus a .060 wad so, I see how that works out. Thanks again, appreciate your info! Rich