40-82 revisited (again)

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

40-82 revisited (again)

Post by semtav »

I spent the last 3 years shooting one gun and one load at all the matches. (Browning 45-110)
Altho I did good it quit being fun because I "had' to win because it was paper patch.

I decided this winter it was more important to Just have fun and enjoy what I used to enjoy. --Playing with different guns and loads.

I brought my 40-82 home from where I keep it at work in the summer so I could try it at the long range match. Last time I had shot it was last June right before I got swamped spraying grasshoppers. I couldn't find my load data, but I was sure I remembered everything but the powder lot. ( I had two different ones there). so I just picked one since they threw almost identical volumes for the 83 gr weight.

I hadn't shot farther than 300 yds with the load before Last weekend, so it was kinda Baptism by fire.

If anyone was privy to Don and my Dustup on castboolits, I was asked what a lowly Gong shooter even considered accurate since skipping them in, half a bullet on at any extremity or any other means to make the radio activate was considered a good hit.

Being a little braggadocious, I told him 1 foot elevation at that distance would be an accurate load. I'm pretty sure the guffaws from the crowd were numerous if you could have heard them.

Well the load came pretty close to accomplishing that at the match.

We got to laughing during the 800 because several of the shooters in my relay were privy to that statement and we got to calling each shot "one for Don"
I thought I could memorize the shots from the 800, but I found out my memory isn't that good, so I wrote down the shots on the 900 yd diamond.

they were.
shot 1-9:00 target out
shot 2-9:00 half a target out
shot 3- 9:30 just off the target (I was sneaking up on it) :lol:
shot 4 -8:00 just out of the white
shot 5- bullseye
Shot 6-Unknown (probably dropped just over the 3:00 tip
Shot 7- 3:00 just off the target
Shot 8-2:30 just above the tip
Shot 9- 1" from Bullseye ( that was after I got fed up after shot 8 and just Cranked in left windage without looking)
Shot 10 Unknown

all three targets were shot without ever changing the elevation once set for that target. even though the wind was gusting from behind us and changing from left to right, the elevation on my shots never changed until the last couple shots on the 1000 yd target and I attribute that to the speckles of lead I started to see on my wiping patches.

Now I admit my windage management sucks, but I really think the lack of elevation changes shot to shot means this load has a lot of potential.

recovered one bullet when done, and it shows no finning altho the major dia was .403 (.400 bore)

DD PP No fins.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
semtav

Re: 40-82 revisited (again)

Post by semtav »

speckles.jpg
rifling.jpg

Altho you can only see 2 of the speckles that the light caught, there were many more.

Pretty sure they were coming from the place where the rifling went past the patch.

Going to try to patch farther up, but if that ruins accuracy, I may just clean between relays as they didn't seem to bother til about 40 bullets down the barrel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobw

Post by bobw »

What is the patched dia of your bullet?
bobw
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

We switched to 17+1 of 95/5 solder and the 5% Antimony really helped with set back on the 40-82. We are now in the process of changing some bullet designs to a more "blunt" nose design, and with that going back to 16-1 mix. The tests so far, show that its working.

Maybe try a slightly harder bullet mix like the 17+1??

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
semtav

Post by semtav »

bobw wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:01 pm What is the patched dia of your bullet?
I'll check when I get home. I don't remember and I'm out of town working.

But it's the DDPP Jim403410 ( I think)
semtav

Post by semtav »

bpcr shooter wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:20 pm We switched to 17+1 of 95/5 solder and the 5% Antimony really helped with set back on the 40-82. We are now in the process of changing some bullet designs to a more "blunt" nose design, and with that going back to 16-1 mix. The tests so far, show that its working.

Maybe try a slightly harder bullet mix like the 17+1??

matt
I've got some unk alloys with antimony I might test.
semtav

Post by semtav »

I was going to "1 and done" a few of these rifles this year, but this one is so much fun I might just go ahead and shoot it all year.
Shooting paper patch that never wins matches in a 40-82 that never wins matches ( according to the experts) it should be fun. Sure won't have to worry about cluttering the house up with all that hardware.
semtav

Post by semtav »

So far I've had a few suggestions on how to fix the rifling issue.
1. Increase the height of the patch
2. Increase the hardness of the lead ( antimony)
3. Wad stack to soften initial detonation
4. Slower powder
5. Less powder

I think a good bullet trap is a requirement here.
Snows gone. (Almost)
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

with the leading, I guess I should have also said.....Dry bore & chamber, but I figure you know that already.
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
semtav

Post by semtav »

Yea was running bore pig and dry patch together down the bore.
Worked with the 45s
semtav

Post by semtav »

bobw wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:01 pm What is the patched dia of your bullet?

Bob its a JIM403415E DDPP

Major dia is .408
Minor dia is .400

After patching with the Staedtler 8 lb paper

Barrel twist is 13/1
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Hi i know a guy that is shooting great groups and winning matches with a 40-82 butt he shoots grease grove bullets and has been doing it for a while now try that and enjoy the winners circle IMO that is the way to go
semtav

Post by semtav »

My other 40-82 shot very well with GG bullets and won a few local matches.

Just not the road I'm on any more. But thanks.

You aren't related to Desert Deuce by any chance are you ? :lol:
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

:D No i cant say that i am sorry :roll:
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

So your fired case size is around .408-.409 then correct? How does your paper look after firing (I.e. brown, black, not cut,etc) I do have some cast and wrapped in .002 paper but could wrap some in either 55w or 55y paper to try and match your barrel. If I can get close, I could send your a few of these
JIM402415E, this was made for a 14.5-1 twist so it should be very stable in your rifle. It has a bit more bore section than the one you currently are using and we go that by moving the ogive forward. The last 3 bullets I've had made have been of that design, and are working very well. There is very little freebore in our 40-82 hence the very short major length.
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member