RCBS or LYMAN either work well
Graybeard

Re: Bullet casting

Post by Graybeard »

Are the lee melting furnace good for hand pour? Thanks for replying
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

IMO yes that is what i use mine is over 20 years old and holds 20 plus pounds of lead mix and works like a charm for me i have cast over 80 thousand rounds with it and it is still working well today
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Great. Thanks I’ll try that see what happens.
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

I agree whole heartedly regarding the advice for ladle pour. You get much better control of your pour and your melt is going directly into the mold. 750-780 a good temperature range.

That said:
Use a hot plate to pre-heat your mold to 250 -350 degrees.
Place a still rubber band around the mold handles to keep them closed - maintains a constant pressure.
Pour 5 bullets, keeping them in the mold for 6 seconds before cutting sprue and dropping bullet.
For the next 4 bullets, increase the holding time by 1 second before cutting and dropping.
On the 10th bullet, pour, hold for 10 seconds, cut sprue and drop a good bullet.
Use the 10 second hold time and should get good bullets. You can hold longer if mold to hot.

Don't forget after every 25-30 bullets cast to:
lube the bottom of your sprue plate.
Reflux melt.

"There are no short cuts to developing and hand loading match grade, BPCR loads"
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

1) you have contaminates in the mould. Oil most likely. Scrub with detergent, then heat to three fifty three times. This will remove any oil in the poures then degrease with electronic cleaner, and smoke the cavity with a match.
To pressure cast with a bottom poour you have to hold the mould tight to the spout. But be careful it can squirt out if not held even. Ladel is best.
Grooving spouts and sprue plates gets the same squirting effect so go gently there as well
Heat the mould before casting on a hot plate or something then keep a consistant cadence.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

HI again you just got a good point made that i forgot to ask you that was did you clean your mold before starting to cast with it i use Break clean to clean my molds to make sure they are free of oils and contaminants then pre heat it :D :D
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Make sure the Break cleaner is dry. In welding it will form Phosgene gas. Not sure if Argon is need for the reaction but one needs to b careful.

CHarles
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

WEll i have never had a problem with it but you spray it with the cleaner out side not in a building then of course you let it air dry before using it
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Yes used break cleaner before using. Used rubbing alcohol too and Q tips to clean. Thanks
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Was looking at the RCBS melting furnace with digital temperature control anyone used one and is it any good??
Minerat

Post by Minerat »

Graybeard wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:12 pm Was looking at the RCBS melting furnace with digital temperature control anyone used one and is it any good??
I have a RCBS Easy Melt, that has the PID. It is great for ladeling, only draw back is you can't shut it off until it cools to 165° or lower. If you do it will damage the PID controller. I put a fan on it to cool it faster.
Steve,

NRA Life Member
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I put a switch on mine, so that I can turn off the heater and let the fan run without changing the PID controller setpoint.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I use a timer on the outlet my ProMelt or other furnaces are plugged into.Amazon has them for less than $20.00. On the ProMelt return the PID to 0 when done casting set the outlet timer for four hrs.
https://www.amazon.com/Century-Digital- ... 08&sr=8-17
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

The cleaner I use is starting fluid, ether. Use only outside and stay upwind!!

Cleans and dried almost instantly. Hose the cavity until it drips off.