Desert International

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Re: Desert International

Post by desert deuce »

Bloviated, Danielson, Intrigue, all in one short paragraph. Amazing! :lol:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

I figured you would get a kick outta dat.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Well, I finally made it home from Arizona, and have had some time to try to figure out how to fabricate a jpg image from the data in an Excel spreadsheet.

I apologize for not being prepared be able to document the scores here in a reasonable timeframe. I'll do better next year.

So, a trial to see if I have really figured it out:

500 Yard.jpg
600 Yard.jpg
500 & 600 Yard Aggregate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

800 Yard.jpg
900 Yard.jpg
800 & 900 Aggregate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

1000 Yard Day 1.jpg
1000 Yard Day 2.jpg
1000 Yard Day 3.jpg
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

1000 Yard Aggregate.jpg
Ironman Aggregate.jpg
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Superior performance once again from Aviator. Thank you !
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

I’m wondering which shooting position was the most common, prone or sitting with cross sticks, off the bench, etc. Given the wind I’m guessing prone for those still physically able to do so.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

For sure prone was the favored position, didn't see anyone using sitting position, very few from the bench.

Curiously, the suggestion from a Wyoming shooter of a shooter mounted, in the saddle facing away from the target, rotating the body 180 degrees toward the target while standing in the stirrups was not selected this year. So, if you see a reference to modified western offhand you will know what they are talking about.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

DD, Hah, I could do that, but with a repeating lever action and the horse is running by the second shot!I was also wondering about prone compared to bench rest when the temperature on the ground exceeds 100 degrees. But that concern is eliminated when the DI is moved to Jan/Feb when it is snowing in more desirable climates. What caused that?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I think the Desert International is subject to individual perceptions primarily based on past individual experiences shooting black powder Target Rifles.
Some think it is a match per se. Well, the rules emanate from the competitors not from any particular governing body.
The shooter does not have to have membership in any organization to shoot the full range of events offered.
There are no classes or categories. As in the 1870's ranking is by score. We do not provide participation awards.

Historically it incorporates the earliest traditions into the modern times except we use paper targets and not V-Bull targets.
The Castle Trophy is the award for the sum of all shots fired as it was then.
It mimics the last NRA National Championship course in a way, however, we do not shoot 200 or 300 yards.

The purpose of the Desert International is to present a very high quality shooting experience that is fun for the shooter to participate in.
The obvious result is that the shooters get to concentrate on shooting and proving themselves, with their rifles and loads at the best range there is in the company of some of the best shooters of this sport there are. It is designed specifically to accommodate both Muzzle Loading and Breech Loading rifles much as took place at Creedmoor in the 1800's. To some the experience may be a reality check to see where they are at a point in time.

It seems many people shy away from the Desert International because they do not fully understand how valuable the opportunity is if they truly want to become more confident and proficient at competition should they choose to do that.

Sort of like you go to college to become an engineer? You go to the Desert International to become a proficient Black Powder Target Rifleman.
There is no other opportunity like it. The experience is the benefit, not so much a score.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Desert International dates are decided by range availability at the Ben Avery facility. Other long range rifle competitions draw many more shooters than BPTR and evidently get prioritized accordingly. It doesn't matter if it's fair or not - that's what happens. Along with some other factors it means there are difficult decisions that have to be made. Each year we get the best time possible given circumstances that are way out of Zack's or AZWIN's control. The other time frame choice would have been later in the year and the temps would have been truly unbearable on the berms, especially for prone. It is what it is. We are very fortunate to have a place that we can shoot for a week and decide our own course of fire. Not to mention the amenities so close by.

This year we were blessed with temps in the 60's and low 70's. Normally it's already in the 80's and climbing. But we paid for it with some outrageous wind conditions.
As far as equipment used - I personally haven't seen that anyone using a bench or sitting, or a scope, or a heavy rifle has any clear advantage over anyone else. It always seems to come down to good loads, good fouling control, and good wind analysis. And of course a good trigger actuator.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I did observe 3 shooters that shot from sitting. I believe there were 6 that shot from bench. All 9 of those shooters most likely would not of been there if the option was not open.
The January start date is what it is, and the only way the match will happen next year apparently. The thing is those that have to travel there from north of 40 degrees latitude may or may not (most likely not) be able to make it due to the weather and road conditions.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I'm loving the early dates! They mean I might actually get to go. After the first of March, things go plum haywire around any ag operation.

I'm crossing my fingers!
Cody
semtav

Post by semtav »

jackrabbit wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:13 am I'm loving the early dates! They mean I might actually get to go. After the first of March, things go plum haywire around any ag operation.

I'm crossing my fingers!
Cody

Same here.
Told DD now I've got to go since he moved it to Feb just for us!! :lol: