Long, light bullet in a 45-90

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Leadville Bill

Re: Long, light bullet in a 45-90

Post by Leadville Bill »

Luke- Thanks for the detailed explanation. That puts my mind at ease going with the default twist.

I’ll have to look through old posts and see what folks are using for the silhouette game that’s not heavy bullets.
Leadville Bill

"It's some kinda Texas psychobilly freakout, that's what it is!" The Reverend Horton Heat
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

16 twist works well with bullets like the 525 gr money bullet but it also gives you the option to go with bullets longer than 1.45 if you think you need to go there
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Luke

Post by Luke »

https://www.buffaloarms.com/459-500-gra ... 59500.html

The Army designed this bullet expressly for the 2.4" case. The tapered first band allows it to be loaded with one grease groove exposed with a thumb push into the rifling if desired.

(FWIW: I have an order in with Accurate for a close approximation of this design, should show up in the catalog in a few weeks)
Limber Up!
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

The US military (Frankford Arsenal) did NOT provide 45-70 loads that had 1 grease groove exposed.
Luke

Post by Luke »

I did not say that. I said it could be loaded that way if desired.
Limber Up!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Nor was this design used in the 45-70. That bullet was an adaptation of this design for the shorter case, with length reduced by .05, mostly by compressing the the lube grooves.
Limber Up!
Leadville Bill

Post by Leadville Bill »

Post by Luke » Fri May 12, 2023 9:44 am

https://www.buffaloarms.com/459-500-gra ... 59500.html

The Army designed this bullet expressly for the 2.4" case. The tapered first band allows it to be loaded with one grease groove exposed with a thumb push into the rifling if desired.

(FWIW: I have an order in with Accurate for a close approximation of this design, should show up in the catalog in a few weeks)

That's an interesting option. Let us know what the designation is once it goes live.

I like the suggestions but I see most of them are still in the 500+ grain range. I'm still looking for a lighter option for mid-range BPCR work. Something along the lines of BACO's 435 or 450 Money bullets. Does anyone have experience with these? It would seem to me there should be something in the 400-450 grain range that would work decently up to and including the rams.
Leadville Bill

"It's some kinda Texas psychobilly freakout, that's what it is!" The Reverend Horton Heat
Luke

Post by Luke »

I think what you are running into here is that the difference between a 450 to a 500 grain is literally the weight of a 25 acp bullet. You would not feel the difference in recoil. So most everyone goes for the more capable 500 grain designs. To get a difference you can feel you have to drop to the 405 grain range, and at that point you've lost too much capability. Accurate has a number of designs in the 450 range, you may just have to pick one and try it. The Saeco 645 480 grainer is wonderful performer, and pretty much as light as anyone goes in the midrange 45s.
Limber Up!
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

Just a suggestion:

Accurate Molds - 46-510M or for slightly heavier - 46-513M1. They will come in at 505 & 525 grains. Using 76 or 78 grains 1 1/2 Swiss, very comfortable shooting.

I agree, brass molds sweet to cast with!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Isn't "long & light" something of an oxymoron in 45cal? If the OP wants to limit recoil and stay under 450gr would not a 40-65 or 40-70SS or even a 44-77 be a better option?
Glenn
Leadville Bill

Post by Leadville Bill »

Luke wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:33 pm I think what you are running into here is that the difference between a 450 to a 500 grain is literally the weight of a 25 acp bullet. You would not feel the difference in recoil. So most everyone goes for the more capable 500 grain designs. To get a difference you can feel you have to drop to the 405 grain range, and at that point you've lost too much capability. Accurate has a number of designs in the 450 range, you may just have to pick one and try it. The Saeco 645 480 grainer is wonderful performer, and pretty much as light as anyone goes in the midrange 45s.
Good point Luke. I'll check those out.
RB1Shooter wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:29 pm Just a suggestion:

Accurate Molds - 46-510M or for slightly heavier - 46-513M1. They will come in at 505 & 525 grains. Using 76 or 78 grains 1 1/2 Swiss, very comfortable shooting.

I agree, brass molds sweet to cast with!
Thanks RB1Shooter. A little heavier than what I was envisioning but with that charge weight maybe not so bad.
Leadville Bill

Leadville Bill

Post by Leadville Bill »

SSShooter wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:57 pm Isn't "long & light" something of an oxymoron in 45cal? If the OP wants to limit recoil and stay under 450gr would not a 40-65 or 40-70SS or even a 44-77 be a better option?
OP here. Yes and No. What I was looking for was actual experience with the lightest possible bullet in .45 that would still give decent accuracy. I'm fond of my Gould mould but I know it's lousy at distance. My poorly worded request of "long and light" was in the hopes that somebody had found a design with deeper grease grooves or shape to minimize the weight but still have enough length for acceptable accuracy. Admittedly, I'm looking for something that may not exist, but I figured somebody had already gone down this road and found something that mostly worked. And judging from the responses, there are a few sub-500 grainers that might work for my purposes.

You bring up a good point in caliber, which I considered for some time before deciding that since this rifle will be facing a bison at some point, my preference would be for a 45 caliber (yes, I am aware that many of the old hide hunters used the 40-70, but as an engineer I like having a factor of safety, hence .45). If it were a dedicated target gun, I would definitely be looking at a 40 cal.
Leadville Bill

SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Sounds like an excellent reason to own two (or more) rifles.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

SSShooter wrote: Sounds like an excellent reason to own two (or more) rifles.

Since it is generally accepted that life begins at 40 and I assume you have attained that. You should be able to engineer more than one.

Practically took the words right off of my keyboard. With the exception that I would have substituted the word more for two.

Why do you limit yourself endlessly?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
sccadu

Post by sccadu »

Good evening!
So good to have so much experienced guidance here. I shoot a 45/90 Shiloh LRE in silhouette events. I use a Postell 535gr with 74 gr. Swiss 1 1/2.
Even with the heavy barrel it just took getting used to the weight. I use a Limb Saver pad to stay out of the Orthopedic surgeons office, I'm retired but worked trades so I have to be careful. You will not find the recoil unpleasant, I shot a short event, just 30 rounds on Sunday with no ill effects. It sure does take the Rams out! Enjoy, such a good day. Most of what I learned about this subject I learned here from all these knowledgeable folks.