New to me Shiloh 45-70

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mongo40

New to me Shiloh 45-70

Post by mongo40 »

I went to drop off an original 1885 Low Wall with Steve Baldwin yesterday. Its a mystery rifle as we can't figure out what the caliber is. Its Marked 22 Long but chamber is bigger, closest we could figure using Cartriges of the World book is 22 Rem Auto, but thats not it either just close to it. Anyway going to have him line it and chamber it for .22 LR. Then we got to talking and I mentioned I'd like to find another Shiloh but in 45-70 and he mentioned that he just happened to have one for sale so he pulled it out and showed it to me, quoted me a price along with a set of his sights mounted on it and couldn't pass it up. So it has a new home now. The only thing I didn't like is I'm more of a traditionalist and like a steel butt plate, this has a rubber one but I'm sure I'll appreciate it when I'm setting on the firing line with it. Not sure of the model, Saddle or Sporter?? Its got a 30" barrel, double set triggers, Schnabel end on the forearm. He also gave me one of his front sight cards to go with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Wilson
bobw

Re: New to me Shiloh 45-70

Post by bobw »

Saddle rifles have straight grip butt. Looks like a #1 .
bobw
Luke

Post by Luke »

Yeah, I'd call that a #1. Nice wood on it!
Limber Up!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Well, other than brass there goes a few to many pounds of powder, several pounds of alloy, many flats of primers, etc
Let the fun begin.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bobw

Post by bobw »

mongo40 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:28 am I went to drop off an original 1885 Low Wall with Steve Baldwin yesterday. Its a mystery rifle as we can't figure out what the caliber is. Its Marked 22 Long but chamber is bigger, closest we could figure using Cartriges of the World book is 22 Rem Auto, but thats not it either just close to it. Anyway going to have him line it and chamber it for .22 LR. Then we got to talking and I mentioned I'd like to find another Shiloh but in 45-70 and he mentioned that he just happened to have one for sale so he pulled it out and showed it to me, quoted me a price along with a set of his sights mounted on it and couldn't pass it up. So it has a new home now. The only thing I didn't like is I'm more of a traditionalist and like a steel butt plate, this has a rubber one but I'm sure I'll appreciate it when I'm setting on the firing line with it. Not sure of the model, Saddle or Sporter?? Its got a 30" barrel, double set triggers, Schnabel end on the forearm. He also gave me one of his front sight cards to go with it.
Chris I wouldn't worry to much about the buttplate not to say I don't like steel checkered shotgun butts because I do. Back in the day (150 years ago) most Creedmoor and Long-range models had a hard rubber butt plate. Those guns had to weigh under 10 lbs. I'll tell you something else plastic or steel you can't blame the buttplate it won't effect how it shoots..mb
bobw
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

I'm not worried about it as I said I'm sure it will be more comfortable to shoot. Its just an ascetics thing for me, Old style rifles just look better with steel butts! Understanding thats totally my opinion of course!!!
Chris
Chris Wilson
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Make or have a steel one made. It just a flat surface. Not quite like the factory would be, but it cold matchup just fine. Not really a hard job!
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Look at the butt plate. Added a little length to fit better but I didn't have to. Never did give it a proper finish and it's showing it's use.
IMG_20190615_071752563_HDR~3_compress11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Here's my off-brand rifle with the Pachmyer on it. I get the whole thing with the steel but plates, but I can literally sit behind this rifle all day and not suffer any discomfort. Sure hoping Shiloh can mount one of these on my 45-100 I have on order. If not, I'll just get the rubber pad and grind my own Pachmyer. Especially because the new mold I'm testing is the 600 grainer from BACO....

mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Gussy, That sure is some pretty wood on that rifle!!!! and I thought if you were going to have the receiver left in the white then engraving was mandatory!!! :lol:
Chris
Chris Wilson
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

I would like some scratching on it! But, it's French gray finish and to late. I actually bought it used so no option.