Near disaster with my Shiloh rifles!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

River Rat

Near disaster with my Shiloh rifles!

Post by River Rat »

Came home Tuesday evening after work to standing water throughout the main floor of my house. Supply line under the bathroom sink blew out and pumped the house full of water sometime between 8am and 5pm. All guns and gun safes were on this floor including my two prized Shilohs. Only a few guns got wet and the Shilohs were not among them, fortunately. They are now relocated to the much drier 2nd floor. No permanent damage to any guns, books (some rare) or anything else irreplaceable. Now to clean up the (considerable) mess..

Anyone else have a near miss with their Shiloh rifle/s that they care to relate?
pacecars

Re: Near disaster with my Shiloh rifles!

Post by pacecars »

First hunting trip with my .45-100 I dropped it from my tree stand and put a small dent in the stock. Got real lucky that was the only damage
Real gun powder is black.
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

The first dent or scratch is always the worst, be it gun, bike, truck or whatever. Dropping a high dollar Shiloh out of a tree must have been a heart-stopping moment, glad it was minor.

I always figure that the inevitable character marks never hurt anything as long as function is not affected. Got a few marks of experience myself and still ticking, for now.
James

Post by James »

When we moved to Big Timber and rented a house way out in the country I didn’t own a safe. Not long after during a Saturday we when the 18 miles to town for groceries. On arriving back the house had been robbed and the 1863 Shiloh that Wolfgang had given me was gone along with nine other guns. The first thing I bought after that is a large safe.
There’s no horse so dead it can’t be beat a bit more.
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

James, that sounds more like an actual disaster than a near miss - ouch! Fortunately I’ve never had anything of heirloom quality stolen or ruined. The recent flood damaged mainly my house and not the contents.

I’ve only had one gun stolen and that was actually my wife’s gun, an S&W 642. She left it in her car one night and the car unlocked. Next morning the gun was gone but at least they didn’t steal the car too. This was when we lived in Tampa many moons ago. I’m glad to live in a place now where we don’t have to worry so much about random crime.