.50-70 Militarry Rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

.50-70 Militarry Rifle

Post by Todd Birch »

I just took delivery of a pristine, 'as new' Farmingdale '74 Military rifle in .50-70.

It is serial #3561. Anyone got a handle on the serial number chronology of the Shiloh rifle saga? Someday this lore is going to matter. It matters to me right now!

Unlike my '63 .50 Military Rifle, this one is drilled and tapped for a tang sight.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
MartyS

Post by MartyS »

That's a rare rifle you have. I would imagine it must have been made in the earlier '80's. I once owned a Shiloh with a 6XXX serial number that the original owner said was made in the mid 80's. Does it happen to have a single trigger? A patch box perchance? Would be nice to see Shiloh make some more Military rifles. You certainly got one in the caliber I would want.
Todd Birch

Shiloh .50-70 Military

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey MartyS

Yep, single trigger all right. Good pull, slight creep.

So far, with a mere 20 rounds downrange, my '63 Military will shoot rings around it!

Mind you, new brass, no load development, etc. That could change 'ere long.

I did NOT enjoy shooting it from the bench! However, in the military sitting position, it was a pussy cat.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Todd Birch

Shiloh .50-70

Post by Todd Birch »

MartyS

Forgot - yes it does have a patchbox. From 10 feet, you can't tell it from the '63.

Todd
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Marty S

Shiloh does have the 1874 military rifle listed in their catalog. I'm quite sure they make them, in calibers 50/70, 45/70, 40/65 and 30/40. I received my '74 carbine in 30/40 a few months ago.

Rich
Todd Birch

Military Rifle Military vs Military Carbine

Post by Todd Birch »

Rich

last I looked on their site, Shiloh was offering the '74 in a military carbine, but not the rifle.

The Military Rifle they offer is the '63 percussion model.

Todd
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Todd,

Your right about not showing the military rifle in the catalog but I think Kirk had said in earlier posts that they do also offer the militry rifle in the '74. Probably it's best if you call them if interested.

Rich
Todd Birch

'74 Military Rifle

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Rich

I would have been very interested at one time, but since the Farmingdale '74 in .50-70 fell into my hands, my needs are well met.

I once let the same rifle in .45-70 slip through my fingers and I vowed never to let that happen again. I've also wanted a .50-70 so now I've got my cake and I can eat it too!

I'm enjoying the learning curve with the .50-70.

Todd