Quigley Rifle Specs

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

triggerfinger

Quigley Rifle Specs

Post by triggerfinger »

I'd like to have Shiloh build a copy of the Quigley rifle (in 45-70 because it will eventually go to my daughter). Is there a list I can use to match each spec for the rifle when I place the order? If this has been asked before, please excuse me, I've looked, but can't find it.

When I retired out of the Army (Fort Drum) a number of years ago, I promised myself I'd have a Shiloh made that was new. In the meantime, I have purchased a few used Shiloh's that, while fantastic rifles, they just weren't truly mine in a sense.
So now is that time to get one made for me. Any help would be appreciated!

Mark
bohemianway

Re: Quigley Rifle Specs

Post by bohemianway »

Under the 1874 rifles dropdown there is the "Quigley" model already detailed. Unless you don't want the monogram then it is simply a Hartford model, 34" heavy octagon, plain wood, military butt, patchbox, I got one a couple of years back right off their website in stock and unless you are dead set on the cliche "Quigley" most shooters find the 34" to long and I have to agree. The 32" looks very nice and 30" was the standard for very good reasons (balance and performance). The #108 MVA rear sight is generally not what you would want for target shooting and if you wanted to be more true to what would have originally been seen the Sporting tang sight (once available from Distant Thunder, RIP) would be more appropriate. Or simply get it barrel sights only and decide later which ones you want.
triggerfinger

Post by triggerfinger »

bohemianway wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:12 pm Under the 1874 rifles dropdown there is the "Quigley" model already detailed. Unless you don't want the monogram then it is simply a Hartford model, 34" heavy octagon, plain wood, military butt, patchbox, I got one a couple of years back right off their website in stock and unless you are dead set on the cliche "Quigley" most shooters find the 34" to long and I have to agree. The 32" looks very nice and 30" was the standard for very good reasons (balance and performance). The #108 MVA rear sight is generally not what you would want for target shooting and if you wanted to be more true to what would have originally been seen the Sporting tang sight (once available from Distant Thunder, RIP) would be more appropriate. Or simply get it barrel sights only and decide later which ones you want.
Thank you Sir, that's a big help. It didn't occur to me that this is the template after all. I have a Shiloh with a 34" barrel and I agree it's a beast to tote. I have to flip a few coins and see what I'll eventually have made.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Allow me to suggest you call Shiloh and get the information first hand.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Luke

Post by Luke »

You can also call Bill Goodman, order a Hartford model, then he'll walk you step by step thru the build until you have what you want.
Limber Up!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Couple of points. You said it will eventually go to your daughter , for her to shoot? That right there eliminates the steel rifle military style butt. Smacked a couple of times with the top of that buttplate on the edge of the collar bone she won't shoot it anymore. 34" hb I've found to be counter productive to good balance for offhand shooting. I have one so I know first hand. Unless your daughter is 6' 185#'s of solid muscle with wide powerful shoulders and good arm strength forget the Quigley model altogether. Get her a 28" std weight barrel in 40-65 and you 'll play hell keeping her in ammo. Yeah and until you ready to hand it down you won't be able to put it down either. bobw
bobw
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Bobw sure makes some good points. My favorite Shiloh out of 4 is my shotgun butt standard 30" barrel 40/65. it weighs just under 11 lbs. and is a pleasure to shoot. I shot a 60 round match with it yesterday.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

You can lighten the rifle even more by going to a standard weight half round barrel. I think my 26" half round rifle weighs slightly over 9 pounds.

George
triggerfinger

Post by triggerfinger »

Thanks gentlemen for the assistance. I placed my order after some consideration of your input. To that end:

1874 HARTFORD
Options: CALIBER: 45-70 ,
BARREL LENGTH: 30" ,
BARREL WEIGHT: HVY.OCT ,
BARREL FEATURES: NONE ,
WOOD UPGRADES: SEMI-FANCY (+$428.00) ,
WOOD FINISHES: NONE ,
LENGTH OF PULL - SHOTGUN BUTTSTOCKS ONLY!: NONE ,
BUTTPLATE: TRADITIONAL STEEL (+$106.00) ,
METAL FINISHES: STANDARD COLOR CASED ,
BACKGROUND FILL - (ENGRAVED FRENCH GRAY ONLY): NONE ,
BRASS ESCUTCHEONS: BRASS (+$28.00) ,
CUSTOM BEDDING: CUSTOM BED (+$55.00) ,
SLING SWIVELS: NONE ,
TRADITIONAL CHECKERING: NONE ,
FOREARM TIP: PEWTER TIP - Standard ,
HARTFORD COLLAR: HARTFORD COLLAR - STD. ,
POLISHED SCREWS: FIREBLUED (+$85.00) ,
PISTOL GRIP: NONE , PATCHBOX: NONE ,
REAR BARREL SIGHT: FULL BUCKHORN ,
VERNIER TANG SIGHTS: NONE ,
FRONT SIGHT: BLADE - STANDARD ,
DRILL AND TAP MVA SCOPE: DRILL & TAP MVA (+$110.00)

I'll have MVA send a 28" scope to complete the rifle.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Fort Drum, home of the 10th Mountain Division
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

OP, why no wood finish? :shock:
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
triggerfinger

Post by triggerfinger »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:05 am OP, why no wood finish? :shock:
I tossed that around as well....Can't afford everything though.
bryany

Post by bryany »

Your upgraded wood will look better with an upgraded finish.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
bobw

Post by bobw »

Gotta agree with Bryan Y on that when I look back using my 20/20 hindsight the few bucks it takes to get a AA FINISH upgrade is well worth it. I 've got a Hartford coming with AA spec'ed and damned if I might not change that to AAA. Bobw
bobw
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Standard wood and standard barrel finish go together nicely I think. As you add options for aesthetics my list in order:
1a) Polished and blued barrel (not the easiest to do after the fact and a relatively low cost upgrade unless you like the standard finish)
1b) Bone Charcoal finish (again a bit of a risk as to being a wow or Meh)
2) Extra-fancy wood (Semi-fancy wood to me seems hit or miss on being what you are imaging and the premium is not much more which should have figure on both sides. And on Shotgun butts it shows better.)
3) #13 basic engraving
4) AA finish (this as many have said can be done yourself after receiving the gun)

Personally my current and first custom build is only 1a and 1b which when it is done my opinions may be reinforced or changed.