Wiping techniques

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

Re: Wiping techniques

Post by SSShooter »

ian45662 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:53 pmMy first shoot at of the season at Friendship this year I rang 2 rams in 1 relay. 59 grains of Swiss 1.5 and 360 grain 38 cal bullet. Until then I had never rang a ram in my life and then ring 2 in a single relay.
Ian - probably the ice between the foot-pad and pedestal had not melted off on those two rams. :wink:
Glenn
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

I shoot a 38-50 for over 5 years using a 336g bullet, 48.5 grains of 2f Swiss. I have never left a Ram though, they will sit there for a second then fall and every Ram hit, they all fall slowly. To get away from this borderline hit, I went to a 348g bullet using 52.5 grains of 2f Swiss; when I hit them, they go right over.

The rest of the story: The new bullet / load has been a great success except for one range where I rang 3 Rams. I was very surprised and all three shots, solid mid-body hits, sat there. After resetting, I noticed a couple other hits, where the Rams went down and they were located in marginal areas; low center body. After discussing with fellow shooters; I wasn't the only shooter that rang Rams that day, we came to the conclusion the wind, coming from directly behind the Ram, held it up.

Anyone else experience similar?

I apologize for off topic comment. I am just offering a possibility to previous posts.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

RB1Shooter wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:46 am I shoot a 38-50 for over 5 years using a 336g bullet, 48.5 grains of 2f Swiss. I have never left a Ram though, they will sit there for a second then fall and every Ram hit, they all fall slowly. To get away from this borderline hit, I went to a 348g bullet using 52.5 grains of 2f Swiss; when I hit them, they go right over.

The rest of the story: The new bullet / load has been a great success except for one range where I rang 3 Rams. I was very surprised and all three shots, solid mid-body hits, sat there. After resetting, I noticed a couple other hits, where the Rams went down and they were located in marginal areas; low center body. After discussing with fellow shooters; I wasn't the only shooter that rang Rams that day, we came to the conclusion the wind, coming from directly behind the Ram, held it up.

Anyone else experience similar?

I apologize for off topic comment. I am just offering a possibility to previous posts.
Yes. Very early in this season I rang 2 rams while a strong head wind was blowing. That same day I was spotting for a feller that was shooting a 45-100 and he had one ram that went over really really slow. He shot that one in a head wind. Just when I thought that it wasn’t going to fall it went over and we laughed about it.