Anyone use the Delux kit from Cartridge Kits for paper cartridges

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Mike Johnson

Anyone use the Delux kit from Cartridge Kits for paper cartridges

Post by Mike Johnson »

I came across this by accident on you tube and on the kit site they have links to the process. I was impressed with the kit as it was a pretty quick in knocking out quite a few cartridges in a short period of time.

https://cartridgekits.com/products/54-p ... deluxe-kit
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR
George Babits

Re: Anyone use the Delux kit from Cartridge Kits for paper cartridges

Post by George Babits »

Interesting kit and looks a bit easier and quicker than making the cartridges by hand as I have always done.

I noted that at the beginning of the U-Tube he seemed to harp on gas leakage. I have had (still have one) two Shiloh Military rifles and an original carbine. I started out using the long tail cartridges where the block cuts off the tail, but now make cartridges that fit pretty much flush with the block, I've never had any problem with gas leakage with either type of cartridge or any of the 3 percussion Sharps that I have had. I think most of the supposed "leakage" comes from powder laying on top of the breech block after cutting the tail off the cartridge. I learned very early on to shake that off before putting the cap on.

I've seen videos of the slant breech Sharps being fired and it certainly did leak, but the condition of the breech was not mentioned.

George
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

I agree. I currently own my 4th 1863. I have not experienced the gas leakage and I agree with your assessment. I have used Hann tubes in the past and just loose powder in the chamber. I used ring tail bullets then but I thought I would try rolling paper cartridges. In this case, I bought some of their bullets and will give it a shot. Will report how it goes later. I used to our my own but for know will fiddle around to see what works best. Thanks for your response. Mike
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

One other thing I might mention is that I use Lyman's 54 caliber hollow base bullet. It weighs about 450 grains and has worked well in both Shiloh rifles and the original carbine. Not exactly correct, but I have one so used it. I made a mandrel from hickory and roll my cartridges tight on the bullet. Pour the powder in from the rear. Then plug the base with cagarett paper. I generally roll cartridges when I don't have anything else to do. Good way to not waste time.

George