1877 Front sight

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Randy Bohannon

1877 Front sight

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Having a problem with my front sight on my 1877 Shiloh 45-70 32” round barrel. It keeps coming loose no matter how tight I snug it up. I’m reluctant to Loc Tite it as I haven’t been able to get a 200 yard dead wind zero ,also have a perfect fit in the dovetail . This is the second front sight as I switched out my MVA Winchester front sight after taking it to Shiloh to mount, it came loose after only two shots, currently have a MVA # 115 mounted it came loose again after today 15 shots . Haven’t been able to get that dang dead wind zero at 200 yards.
Any suggestions ?
Tomklinger

Re: 1877 Front sight

Post by Tomklinger »

Randy,
I think you need to give the rifle to me! That would solve your sight problem!😂👍
Tom Klinger
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Now that’s funny,you funny guy. This rifle wants to shoot if I can get the sight to stay put. T
bobw

Post by bobw »

What size dovetail is that? I was allways told if the frt sight was undersized just little to give the top frt and back a little tap downward and reseat the sight. Bobw
bobw
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

452”
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Going to try a dab of carpenters glue on the set screw threads.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Same problem with my ‘74. Rubber band.
bryany

Post by bryany »

I haven't had an MVA front sight shoot loose but if I had a set screw get loose, I'd use blue locktite.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Got tired of tightening MVA front sight over the years. Old fella at match suggested rubber band. Works great. I get about a year out of one. I asked Shiloh and MVA if they sold an official rubber band? No. So I just get them at Walmart.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

You could also try using some brass shim stock underneath on the flat face of the dovetail to tighten it up - this will tighten up the dovetail and allow a loose press fit so to speak - you drift the sight in and the shim stock takes up the clearance. I’d be careful even with blue loctite - that set screw is very small and even blue thread locker will play hell with ever getting it loose again. You can buy brass shim stock down to .001” - maybe even thinner. Cut into strips that are a little narrower than your dovetail and cut length to whatever you need. You can cut that stuff with regular scissors. I would also try cutting a tiny strip of the white Teflon plumbing tape - use the Allen key to hold the set screw and put a couple of wraps on the screw and see if that keeps it from walking out. I’d try that before using loctite.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

The dovetail is near perfect with a very good friction fit however the Teflon tape idea is very good going give that a try before anything else. Thank you for that.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Good advice all. Thanks. Much appreciated. My front sight is Model 1999 MVA front with windage and spirit level. Great sight just like the rifle. Didn’t have to tighten for 20 years. Started loosening up and wouldn’t stay tight. I guess I’ve gotten lazy and stubborn as I’ve aged. I guess I think that for the $ we pay for these fine rifles and sights, the screws should stay tight when tightened. The rubber band works great.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Ok - hope it works for you. I’ve done that for my 1911 grip screws that kept loosening up and it worked for that so we’ll see.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Just did the Teflon tape trick had to drift the sight close to Center with a few light taps. I don’t see how it could loosen now and will be perfect for getting my 200 yard zero if I have to adjust. I learned something new. Thanks P/B
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I've never had a Shiloh installed sight come loose, but I have on a few others. Take a look at purple locktite. It's less popular than red or blue but more suited to very small fasteners.

Chris.