Another Actually Exists!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ccongos@me.com

Another Actually Exists!

Post by ccongos@me.com »

Funny story.

So, I'm sure everyone forgot (I would), but I got an 1874 Lewis and Clark commemorative about 6 months ago. After scouring the interwebs, I was starting to believe that mine was the only one in existence, even though about 60 were made. Here is the original posting:

viewtopic.php?p=340493&hilit=lewis+and+clark#p340493

Well. I get an email from a really nice older lady out of Michigan asking if she could talk with me about her recently-departed husband's Shilo L&C commemorative, serial number LC029 (mine is LC009). I say "of course"!!

We do a facetime call and she shows me the details of the rifle, and I'm just in awe that I was looking at the exact same kind of rifle as mine! It looked great except for a couple things. You see, she keeps it in the bathroom closet, so....moisture. And the wood stock showed it. It was darkened significantly and looked a little bad, but she said it didn't feel different than the rest of the wood.

Secondly, there were small rust spots here and there.

So, I told her she has a VERY nice rifle and roughly what I thought she could get for it, if she decided to sell. But it would be a fabulous family heirloom as well. But I did tell here to get a good gun oil and get a nice layer on that thing to stabilize it, and for the love of Pete, get it out of the bathroom closet!!

She had all the original paperwork, certificates and shipping box! Was a real treat seeing it and she was very appreciative for me giving my time. Frankly, the pleasure was all mine.
-Chad
omgb

Re: Another Actually Exists!

Post by omgb »

I used to live in Lewistown and was very familiar with Don's. Shopped there a lot. Sadly, it's gone now.
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow
Cal Hunter Ed Instructor/NRA Rifle/Shotgun Inst.
semtav

Post by semtav »

That's where I met my wife. Went in and bought some fishhooks to ask her out. (Don't even fish)
omgb

Post by omgb »

What year and what was her family name? I may have known them. I worked for the Argus
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow
Cal Hunter Ed Instructor/NRA Rifle/Shotgun Inst.