New to me Farmingdale Sharps….

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Mick214

New to me Farmingdale Sharps….

Post by Mick214 »

Hi y’all’s,

I just acquired a Farmingdale Shiloh Sharps and I would like to know more about what I have. I am not super familiar with Sharps rifles, but I did have one many years ago made by IAB in .45-70 that I used for a short bit in some cowboy action shooting side matches. It was a little rough around the edges, so I ended up selling that one off and getting a Uberti 1885 High Wall in .45-70, which I still have.

Recently I was fortunate enough to trade into this beauty. As you can see, it has a 34” barrel, pistol grip stock, double set triggers, and a globe front sight with a post. The markings on the top of the barrel say “Shiloh Rifle MFG CO. and “Old Reliable”. It is also stamped “Calibre 45 2/10”. On the left side of the receiver it is marked “Shiloh Rifle MFG Co. Farmingdale N.Y.” The receiver is nicely color case hardened and the wood stocks are beautiful as well. From what I understand, they first produced these rifles in N.Y. And then moved the operation to Big Timber, Montana, if that’s correct.

There is no barrel mounted rear sight, nor a dovetail for one. The previous owner added the tang sight to it, but he didn’t keep the manual for it and he didn’t have the manual for the rifle itself. I would love to get copies of manuals for both the rear sight and the rifle if anyone has a link to a source for them.

The front sight is globe style with a fixed post. I would like to replace the sight with one where I can change out the blades. Anyone know what size the front dovetail is? The lower grip tang is nicely checkered.

I have read the many posts here on these Farmingdale rifles and, based on the serial number (4061), it appears that mine would have been made around 1980? I have shot it once at a 100 yard steel target and hit it 4 out of 5 times, so I know she can shoot, but I need to get her sighted in properly. Any info on this rifle would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,

Mick

bobw

Re: New to me Farmingdale Sharps….

Post by bobw »

What you have is an early Long Range Express model. The front sight is standard globe they came equipped with. The rear sight is a MVA #104 Schuetzen Soule model they run these days ~ 400 bucks. It's not very high but I'd be very surprised if you can't get out to 4-500 yds with it. All you have to do is measure the dovetail on the frt sight probably about .451". The Shiloh #111 or MVA#111 are suitable replacements for a sight with replaceable inserts. I have both but also like and use the Lee Shaver model that also includes a sight level. Your buttplate looks like the std model that says Sharps and Old Reliable on it. I can't see the leftside in your photos but bet it has a cheekpiece with a accent line on it. The 34 " std weight barrel has no rear dovetail on the LRE model because the rifle came equipped with Shilohs version of the original sporting tang sight. The sight you have is many times better. Shoot it, some of these guns had a overbored freebore. Check yours so you will know how long to load your ammo. Shoot the hell out of it with black powder loaded ammo if you want to enjoy the real essence of a Sharps. Question? Bobw
bobw
Mick214

Post by Mick214 »

@bobw

Thanks so much for all that info on my rifle!

Yes, it does have the cheek piece with the accent line and the butt plate is marked as you have stated. I really love the wood grain on the stock. I have some 5744 powder that I have used for my High Wall and I was going to try that for this to see how she shoots with it.

I have added a few more pics.

JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Another one takes a "quick peek" inside the rabbit hole LOL.........
bobw

Post by bobw »

Mick sent you a pm
bobw
Mick214

Post by Mick214 »

bobw wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:57 am Mick sent you a pm
Got it and responded!