Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Cessnapilot89

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

Hello all,

My name is Cody, I live out here in the Nebraska Panhandle. In March my wife and I drove to Big Timber and ordered a Quigley model in 45-2-7/8ths though I'm tempted to change it to 45-70 due to ease of finding components.

Thank.youbto all the folks here who put so much valuable information on here. It is appreciated!
Dan O

Re: New member

Post by Dan O »

Welcome Cody. The 45-70 is a great choice as is the 45-90. Start finding the components now so down the road when you get your rifle you can enjoy it right away.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Werlcome aboard Cody,

If you are thinking using mostly smokless powder then stick with the 45-70. But if you plan on using mostly black powder, anything from the 45-70 on up works great. Another thing to factor in is your intended use for the rifle. I've made a few excursions into the larger cartridges, even the 45-120, but came back to the 45-70 and have pretty well stuck with. It is a very versitle cartridge.

George
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

45-70 is never a bad choice, negligible difference between that and 45-90.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Welcome :!:
What are your plans for this rifle :?:
Do you reload :?:
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Cessnapilot89

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

Hello all,

Thank you for the warm welcome!

My thoughts in the 45-110 was that id like to try to eventually go.to.the Quigley shoot as it's not terribly far from me, and it is a tad different than the other two 45-70s I have. It most likely will not be used for much other than target shooting, though I'd be sorely tempted to use it on elk.

Currently I do some reloading, mostly .308 Winchester and 577/450 Martini Henry loads using black powder. Back in March I ordered some 45-110 brass from Australia but that has been held up by Aussie customs apparently.
Luke

Post by Luke »

It kinda sounds like you want just a little more than a .45-70. Get the 45-2.4" case IMHO (.45-90) It will do everything you say you want to do, most of your components are shared with the 45-70s, Starline makes the cases.
Limber Up!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well for your sake I hope Bertram brass has better quality now than it has in the past. A couple times a year Shiloh has made 1/2 doz guns or so for over the counter sales via their "gun library". Mostly 45-70's. You need to be watching their website biweekly. They give a good description, a phone call, a credit card number it's yours. Of course there is the 4473 stuff too..bobw
bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

There are 3 gong matches a year in Alliance Ne. that you can shoot your new rifle in. As to the choice in chamber, follow your gut. If you stick with the 2 7/8 then get on to Buffalo Arms and place an order for the Norma Brass. Once the back order gets up enough pretty good chance Norma will make a run of it again.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Cessnapilot89

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

Thanks guys!

I need to join the Alliance range.

As much as I know 45-70 is more practical, my dorky side really wants the 45-2-7/8ths. I'll make sure to get in the list with Buffalo Arms!
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Go with the 45-70. It’ll do everything you want to do in North America, with ease.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Get your hearts desire just make sure it’s heavy enough to soak up some of the recoil. :D
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

Keep in mind, you can re-chamber up in size but not down. For my money, I would go 45-2.4 and later on, if that's not big enough, re-chamber. However, you'll like the 45-2.4!
Griff

Post by Griff »

Randy Bohannon wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:12 pm Get your hearts desire just make sure it’s heavy enough to soak up some of the recoil. :D
You know what they say about opinions, but here's mine. If one caliber makes your heart flutter and you're willing to live with the challenges that it presents, I say go for it. If you don't, you might always be just a little disappointed. My opinion...

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

The 45/100 is right in the middle there twixt the 70 and the 120. Can be loaded down to about 80 grains of Fg BP for the knock-down-metal-animal thing and up to 100 grains of FFg for 1000-yard gongs. I know guys who go hotter, almost 110 grains or so. A friend shoots 85 grains of FFFg in his. With BP only, these Shiloh fence posts are pretty versatile, especially the larger straight cases. Go with your gut. I’ve never regretted getting my 100 Roughrider in 1999. I’ve loaded it in every way it can be loaded, even with smokeless back in what I now call my dark ages. I use only BP now and Federal 215s. I have a good load with 87 grains of FFg but my 80 grain FFFg load really gets the blood flowing. If you buy a Shiloh you don’t like, you can always sell it and buy another one. Get a 45/70 if you want. Everybody and his brother has one. Easy to sell. Every company makes brass. If you want something more interesting and less girlie, go with the 100 or 110. 120 is a beast and not a real Sharps round. Talk to K. Wasserburger about 110. He knows all there is to know about them. Good luck and Best wishes