Dual Diameter Paper Patch Bullet Wrap

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

patchbox

Dual Diameter Paper Patch Bullet Wrap

Post by patchbox »

Question for you guys that shoot a dual diameter paper patch bullet:
When finishing up the wrap where the seams meet do you aim for the seam to meet for the major diameter or the minor diameter, in other words, say for a DDPPB with a base diameter of .452 and a nose or minor diameter of .445 would you shoot for the seam gap to be closer on the .445 diameter and just live with a slighter wider gap in the .452 section? Or does it make any difference at all? I would think you would want to aim for a proper seam width on the minor diameter and let the chips fall where they may on the major diameter in order to avoid any overlap.
patchbox

Re: Dual Diameter Paper Patch Bullet Wrap

Post by patchbox »

The DDPPB that Mr. Wasserburger uses has peaked my interest so I ordered one and am preparing for how to make my template length to achieve a proper wrap length in the seam/gap area.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

On my DD I aim for a parallel seam which at first was hard to arrive at. My patch is not a true parallelogram, 1 leg is slightly longer for the larger base diameter. I use a paper cutting jig I made, rotary cutter on board and is adjustable. I take a small nip off the base corner stack so as to see which is the bottom when rolling on the 3d printed jig I picked up at the Q shoot. After its all figured out I can cut hundreds fast, and wrap dry.
kw
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Ok, got it, that makes sense - thanks for sharing your process method.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Ive just matched the minor dia and its been fine for years.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I think I will try just matching the minor diameter first before making another custom template. We’ll how good the seam is and how it shoots with my .445” pp template.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

The thing about making an adjustable cutting jig is that you don't have to constantly make templates to alter the patches. Some ingenuity will get you there.
kw
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Slightly shorten the bottom edge that will fold over the bullet base about .006-.008 the paper will stretch put most of your pressure towards that base end. This is with wet patching of course.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter