wiping rod

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

vikingsword

wiping rod

Post by vikingsword »

I've been doing so research on finding a proper wiping rod for cleaning between shots and read about shooters being very pleased with a wiping rod acquired through arizonasharpshooter.com and can not bring up this website at all, so I was wondering if anyone knows if they are still in business or not. Thanks!
bobw

Re: wiping rod

Post by bobw »

Maybe that was Steve Rhodes and he passed away awhile back. Just get a delrin wiping rod from baco, spec what caliber you want it for. Bobw
bobw
Minerat

Post by Minerat »

I got my rod from Grainger. Not as fancy but works just fine for pushing patches and bore pigs thru the barrel.
Steve,

NRA Life Member
CRC member
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

There is a member on this forum that goes by the handle patchbox…. He makes very nice three piece Delrin rods that are very durable and come with an 8–32 threaded end so that you can run your pusher jag or regular cleaning brushes. Shoot him a DM…

He also makes excellent Delrin bore wipers tgat use patches instead of those felt wads. No laundry needed..
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I just bought some delrin rod, and drilled a 3/16" hole in one end. I prefer a plain hole vs. threaded since threading devices on just takes more time, and whatever I push through only goes through one direction. By leaving the hole unthreaded the bore pigs just drop off once the exit the muzzle.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Delrin rod for sure, I do put a knob handle on the pushing end though. Sometimes you get a tight patch and the extra grip is nice.
kw
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Another place to get Delrin rods is online metals, https://www.onlinemetals.com/?gclid=EAI ... gLTyPD_BwE
the nice thing about them is you can order any length you want, they will cut it to length for you. One word of advice I can offer up is, before you push the button to confirm your order check the cost of the shipping. This day and age shipping can be a real killer. I order a lot of metal from them in short lengths and at times I have had more tied up in the shipping cost than the material cost. It can pay to shop around.
Sam
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

McMaster-Carr has delrin rods (acetal homopolymer) in black and white color. The prices are better than online metals but check on the shipping - at that point any cost savings may be a wash depending on where the shipping address is.

https://www.mcmaster.com/
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Which Delrin? AF, 570, etc
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

They don’t specify - they just specify it’s an acetal homopolymer
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

It’s not Delrin AF or 570 - it’s not glass filled nor does it have PTFE in it - it’s just a generic acetal homopolymer- I believe they do carry the acetal with PTFE and the glass filled.
Minerat

Post by Minerat »

Steve,

NRA Life Member
CRC member
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Yeah, that’ll do it - same basic delrin that I use. Seems to work just fine.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I stayed away from the glass filled stuff - the glass fibers can be pretty abrasive over time. The stuff with PTFE was very expensive and I found it didn’t machine real well compared to the run of the mill acetal homopolymer.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

I ordered 80 feet of acetal rod about two months ago.
My supplier has said, some items like this are backordered from the Mfg.
Same with ordering 0.060 LDPE sheet goods. LONG lead time.
beltfed/arnie