One of Shiloh's Finest

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JMLange

One of Shiloh's Finest

Post by JMLange »

I do not know how Track of the Wollf is coming up with all of the Shilohs, Ballards, and Winchesters lately. The now have a Bridgeport 1874 Sharps Extra Heavy Express Target Rifle, .45-120, 34" octagon barrel, by Shiloh Rifle. This is a 21 lb. $10,000 beauty.

John

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categorie ... Num=XX-433
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

JMLange:

I went to the link you posted. Wow, what a gun!! It was great seeing the Shiloh #3 pattern of Engraving. That's what I have going on my Hartford Fancy Sporting Rifle.

Other than the Xerox copy of the patterns that was sent to me, that is the first time I've been able to see it on a real rifle. Too bad it's not on the French gray receiver. Oh well!

It looks great!!!

I've got the Buffalo, Puma and Bear scene on the three animal windows, instead of the animal "Heads".

Anyway for anyone who hasn't checked out the link, give it a try, it's a dandy.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
RMulhern

Beauty

Post by RMulhern »

Real shame....it's not a .45/110!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I just love that little "ADD TO CART" button directly below the price of $9,999.00. I took an awful lot of willpower, but I managed to not click on that button. :cry:
Lee Stone
MartyS

Post by MartyS »

Thanks again for alerting us to another fabulous Sharps, John. Easily the nicest Shiloh I have ever seen - too bad it is not in reality. Imagine shooting a 692 gn 45 caliber bullet! Even with the 21 lb rifle weight, it must have some felt recoil.
Have you checked out the deluxe Hartford Sporting rifle (also a Shiloh) on their website? I have seen the original Samuel Green gun in the Cody Firearms museum and they do look very similar - buttplate about the only real departure. Recall that the original was also in .40-50 SBN. A real cute and shootable cartridge.
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

What a rifle :D such a great detailed description. like Lee I have to hold off from 'adding to my cart' .
Now if only I can get someone to put up with me, for more than three months, and still pay all the bills. Then I qualifiy as a resident alien and can buy such rifles in my own right.

Regards

Dave
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

WOW--what qa rifle--and unlike the rest of you guys :twisted: I hit the add to my cart button :D :( ufortunately I had to hit the delete right afterwords :roll: but it did feel great knowing I had it if only for a moment!!!! :lol:
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

That is a gorgeous rifle, and I normally am not turned on by bull barrels.

However, just for the heck of it I spected out a rifle over on the Shiloh model selection part of this site and duplicated and priced the rifle as best I could from the description of that rifle. After pricing it, I came to the conclusion that the rifle has better than 5,000.00 worth of engraving and sights on it. I must admit, that sort of perplexed me.
Lee Stone
JMLange

One of Shiloh's Finest

Post by JMLange »

I have never sold anything through Track (bought a few though, including my Farmingdale military rifle), but a friend has. They will try to get you to come in with a low price, but if you stick to your guns they will go along with it and add whatever percentage they feel they need to make on it. If it sits there a few months, they will knock a few bucks off the price. I don't know what their standard mark-up is.
And don't forget the custom aluminum case. That's worth something.
Overall they are pretty decent people to deal with. (In some of the muzzle loader building circles they are known as Backorder of the Wolf, but that's a problem with the small businesses that the have to go to for parts.) They seem to be expanding their line, and are even carrying Axtel sight. Their return policy is no hassle, no questions asked.

John
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

MartyS:

You mentioned the deluxe Hartford Sporting rifle.

"Have you checked out the deluxe Hartford Sporting rifle (also a Shiloh) on their website? I have seen the original Samuel Green gun in the Cody Firearms museum and they do look very similar - buttplate about the only real departure. Recall that the original was also in .40-50 SBN. A real cute and shootable cartridge."

Can you remember how long the barrel was from memory on that Rifle? I looked at it in Sellers book and I couldn't tell. It looked like the picture had been cut off because there was no front sight visible. It looked to me like a 32 inch based on other rifles in the book being 30 inch. (Same general deminsions) but, the standard weight barrel sometimes looks longer than the heavy barrel of the same length.

Also, the crescent butt plate in the book picture looks to be more of a deep crescent than the crescent bp being made now. Is it just me, or do you see the same thing?

Anyway, killer rifle. I would like to see the original someday.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

John,

You're right. I forgot about that aluminium case. That should be worth quite a bit. And I have no doubt there are aspects of the rifle I am not aware of and so could not try to duplicate that are influencing the large difference in apparent pricing.

The only things I have gotten from Track Of The Wolf are some pistol flints and I was very happy with those and the service I received.
Lee Stone
Badger

Post by Badger »

I've done quite a bit of business through Track of the Wolf as custom muzzleloaders is another of my habits. I don't know how successful they will be selling all of these rifles as it's not often you see anything like these on their website. The custom 1885's sure stirred my interest. I wonder if they got these all from the same person. Anyway, when they take a gun on consignment they add 30% for their commission. That's a pretty hefty fee but they move a lot of muzzleloaders. I had them sell two for me this last winter and they sold fast and I got what I wanted out of them so guess everyone was happy.
MartyS

Post by MartyS »

Texas Shooter: I think perhaps you are right. The barrel on the original may well have been 32". If memory serves me right, there is no front sight on the original either. The crescent buttplate is different. The original is much more like what Shiloh did with the first 100 serial numbered B rifles: Commemorative Hartfords (thogh not silver plated). Apparently Shiloh has not (and maybe will not) ever duplicate the buttplate again.
Lee: You post very often and seem to deal with Shiloh a lot. Do you have a recent engraving price list? If not, you should have them send you one. I believe you will find that the Engraving pattern #3 (done deeply like it appears this one is done) is over $4K. In pricing things out you have to remember the 10% custom handling charge for engraved guns, and the fact that on "bull barrelled" rifles the polishing and Pewter tip costs more than on standard rifles (at least it use to when I inquired a few years ago).
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

MartyS:

Was the rifle damaged and that was the reason for the front sight missing, or did it originally have a scope, or undetermined?

I have always thought that that particular rifle had some of the most graceful ful lines of any rifle.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
MartyS

Post by MartyS »

Hi Texas Shooter:

To my knowledge the rifle was not damaged. The front sight was simply missing (i.e. the front dovetail was present but without a sight in it). No indication of a scope ever having been mounted.
I agree on the graceful lines of the high grade Hartford sporting rifles. Those with the addition of a horn or ebony pistol grip really take the eye.
This one on Track is almost within my budget and is pretty much right on in terms of present retail price - don't believe Track is adding anything above current cataloge price. Have to give it some thought ....