To Re-bore or Re-barrel a Business Rifle?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bohemianway

To Re-bore or Re-barrel a Business Rifle?

Post by bohemianway »

Long story: I have a like new Shiloh (C. Sharps branded) Business rifle in 45-120 bought used 30+ years ago. It was fun to shoot occasionally but not any more. So over a year ago I put in the order to Shiloh to have it re-barreled and as I wait for the call I am considering the options.

1) $600 or so for Shiloh to re-barrel to 40-50BN which will have all the correct markings.
2) $250 or so to send the barrel out for a re-bore to 50-70 and leave the markings as is. I can also do this with the others and keep as a swap barrel set.
3) $0 (I have the barrel and reamer for 40-50BN) take the time and years to re-barrel it myself and have no barrel markings.
4) Sell it as is and order what I want (I really like this rifles aesthetics and balance tough).

I am leaning towards #1 but looking to see if there are any interesting thoughts I am missing.

Thank you,
Charles
Randy Bohannon

Re: To Re-bore or Re-barrel a Business Rifle?

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I would have Shiloh rebarell with a half round standard weight 30” , I like your cartridge choice.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I once owned two Shiloh business rifles -- .45-2.1" and .50-70. Both had the 28" standard round barrel and were quick to point and easy to handle. Very accurate rifles. Problem was arthritis my hands and I just could not seem to get a good grip and straight stock anymore. I always thought the Business Rifle was a "sleeper" in the shiloh rifle lineup.

Go with your option #1, .40-50 SBN with the 28" standard round barrel. If weight is a concern, ask Kirk about the weight for a .40 Business Rifle.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Kinda depends on what you really want.
You want two great calibres but only one gun.
Rebore and order another rifle.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
vikingsword

Post by vikingsword »

You could trade it to me, then get what you want!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Charles, only you can decide what to do. I have an idea you might consider. Put a Crossno 22lr liner in it and shoot the hell out of it for pennies per shot.
Bobw
bobw
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

I think the main reason for changing it is that I am under the assumption that the 45-120 aspect reduces the resale value to the point that selling and replacing would be a high dollar spread. I cannot imagine who would want a 120 except at a bargain to change it to something else. I originally bought it as a trio where one was a #3 45-120 standard oct. and turned it to reduce the cost of the other two (1991 bought for $1,000 sold for $1,500 cannot believe someone would pay the equivalent of $3,300 today for a 120 std).

I have a liner in a Peder... which is an ideal combination (great for practice and of no value in all other aspects).

Charles
bobw

Post by bobw »

I have a 74 b-gun in 45-110 that I ordered with the shotgun butt, another with a rifle butt in 50-70 and a original with a rifle butt in 45-70 so I kinda like b-guns. Maybe we could discuss over a phone call or pm? Bobw
bobw
semtav

Post by semtav »

powderburner wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:01 am Kinda depends on what you really want.
You want two great calibres but only one gun.
Rebore and order another rifle.

That's the one great thing about a 45-120. You can shoot a 45-110, a 45-100, a 45-90 and a 45-70 in it without hurting it.

Shouldn't do that with any of the other calibers.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

What chemically induced state does one have to be in to do that Brian?
Oh, I forgot. Minute of refrigerator at 50 yards. :roll:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Luke

Post by Luke »

No, you never do that, not with any rifle cartridge of any definition. These are not low pressure, low volume revolver cartridges.
Limber Up!
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:24 am What chemically induced state does one have to be in to do that Brian?
Oh, I forgot. Minute of refrigerator at 50 yards. :roll:
I didn't say it was gonna be match quality accurate!!
:lol:
semtav

Post by semtav »

Luke wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:17 am No, you never do that, not with any rifle cartridge of any definition. These are not low pressure, low volume revolver cartridges.
So clue me in on the physical dangers of shooting a 45-110 black powder load in a 45-120.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Seen a number of 45-90 1886s with ringed/eroded chambers from a steady diet of 45-70s. No, it won't kill you, but It's a bad habit best not encouraged for any rifle. IMHO.
Limber Up!
semtav

Post by semtav »

Luke.
You notice I said this was only applicable to a 45-120.
No others.

Because, whoever reamed that extra 3/8 length in the chamber already ruined the barrel. It's nothing more than a glorified tomato stake. So why not just shoot it with whatever you have and save your money instead of buying expensive brass.
Especially if you are gonna rebarrel it sooner or later anyways.