Rings on fired brass

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Rings on fired brass

Post by JonnyV »

My fired brass has these rings on there. They're right at the same spot where the wad was (Walter's .060 fiber, no plastic). I can't feel anything when I scrape around in the case with a tweezer...anyone seen this before??

bpcrshooter62

Re: Rings on fired brass

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

What type of powder and how much is under the wades? As well as how much compression are you putting on the loads?
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

85.5 gr Swiss 1.5 F, single .060 Walter wad with a parchment release wad on top. 535 gr money bullet with micro grooves and Emmert's Improved lube. OAL 3.460", seating depth .420". Brass freshly annealed after every firing. FWIW, the load is very accurate. I had good success today engaging the small steel targets that the precision guys use.

bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

two more ?s are your bullets slip fit or is there neck tension ? Is your bullet seated down to the wads or is there air between the wads and the base of the bullet as it looks like the ring is lower than where the bottom of the bullet would be ?
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Did you borescope the chamber?
Tom Klinger
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

slip fit and came into the lands approx .030"

no borescope. rifle is only a year old
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

barrel is a Douglas XX 8 groove. CPA rifle

after I tumble the brass in the SS pins the ring dissapears too
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I don’t suppose you store them in an MTM ammo box? One that has a plastic insert that holds the ammo with the projectile facing down? . One of those 100 round green boxes or something similar?
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

ian45662 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:51 pm I don’t suppose you store them in an MTM ammo box? One that has a plastic insert that holds the ammo with the projectile facing down? . One of those 100 round green boxes or something similar?

yeah I store in the blue 50 round boxes nose down

Not the foam insert one though, the rounds are loose in there
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

[/quote]

There is where your ring is coming from.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Woody

Post by Woody »

I'm leaning towards Klinger's response on this one. I would inspect the chamber, but I also agree with Ian and Kenny that the storage container may be the culprit.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

JonnyV wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:53 pm
ian45662 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:51 pm I don’t suppose you store them in an MTM ammo box? One that has a plastic insert that holds the ammo with the projectile facing down? . One of those 100 round green boxes or something similar?

I get rings on mine like that also. The first time I saw it I thought my chamber was jacked up. I about had a panic attack. It didn’t affect accuracy but I was puzzled as to how I could have messed up my chamber. I pulled a virgin piece of brass out of my box and sure enough it had a ring also!!! So now I was really cornfused. I got to looking and all the ammo in that box had a ring on it. I felt a lot better after I figured that out. Not saying that’s what you have here but it’s definitely a possibility. I think it happens from driving around on rough roads while ammo is in that particular box.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Here's another possibility, this happened to me recently. I had a similar ring on my brass almost to the point you could feel it with a finger nail. It showed up after cleaning the brass. The culprit was the rubber ring on my MVA blow-tube. It had formed a ring of crud just in front of it that needed a little more chamber cleaning than I had given it. All better now and the rubber ring has been removed.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Yesterday Range trip was a two hour drive to get there. Kinda freaky seeing that ring. As mentioned, no effect on accuracy at all. Gonna have to look at these ammo boxes. Thanks guys!
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

HI i have a ? in the pics you posted i do not see a ring on the un-fired case but the fired ones show the ring now if it was the bullet boxes causing this why is it not seen until you fire the case?