paper patching troubles

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: paper patching troubles

Post by semtav »

opencountry wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:06 pm

Hey, since we’re on the topic of pp’ing I’d like to ask a simple question: I’ve been noticing others on YouTube loading/seating their patched bullets much, much deeper into the case(s) than myself. I seat my patched bullets @1/4” deep into the case in my 45-110, a little more on my 45-90. I squeeze the case mouths enough to hold the bullet firmly. I see others on YouTube seating their patched bullets to the point that only @1/4” of the paper on the bullet is above the case mouth. In my way of thinking I would think that the paper on the bullet below the case mouth might loosen up and not stay wrapped. Could anyone school me on this?
Robert
JonnyV wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:16 pm
There are a lot of people posting stuff on YouTube. A lot of it is half-baked at best. I went back and took down a lot of video off my channel after thinking about things for a while. I think there’s a responsibility to post good information in a proper way. However, YouTube don’t care. Anyone with a camera and some rudimentary editing software can publish damn near anything they please.

Danm !!!! Guess I better not start posting You Tube Videos :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PP Bullets 2023.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
semtav

Post by semtav »

patch 1.jpg

But you can wind up with this left over in your case if you are careless with your loading procedures !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thanks, all for the feedback. It’s much appreciated.
I’d still be in the Stone Age if I hadn’t of found this online forum, and listened to those who shared their knowledge they offered. I’m indeed grateful. I’ve tried to help others with the things I’ve learned from those on this forum.
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Now how did you end up with a pocket knife left stuck in your case? You're right, I would call that careless reloading.😄
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I get the point, Semtav. What a deal. I’ll stay with what’s been working for me. I’ve found a really good load for both my 90 and 110’s using Swiss. Glad to have found a large quantity of the same lot number.
R
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Coltsmoke wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:29 pm Now how did you end up with a pocket knife left stuck in your case? You're right, I would call that careless reloading.😄
If I told you it would just give DD an opening :shock: :roll:
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

I'm not so sure 'DD' ..needs an opening :wink:
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
semtav

Post by semtav »

J.B. wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:52 pm I'm not so sure 'DD' ..needs an opening :wink:

Et tu, Brute?
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Latin.. and Shakespeare no less ! Latin is only slightly older than the other language seemingly no longer taught or valued here... That would be English. Alas I do sit back and enjoy the 'banter' .. and try to avoid being collateral damage along the way.
.. rgds.. Gavin.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

An opening to recognize SEMTAV? Not hardly. Actually, no need to point out his deficiencies, he does a stellar job of that without my help. :P

He is, btw, clueless to clear facts, which is why he dawdles around with diapered projectiles. He knows they are imperfect and win few matches which assures their failure. No expectation of success usually does lead to failure, at least he is a successful practitioner of failure. :lol:

Student of failure. So, I suspect his graduation diploma from the Univ. of Dufus should read, "Lawdy how Cum". The rest of the visualized parchment is devoid of details so his specific studies and class recognition criteria is left the imagination. :shock: The title of those studies should be, "Lord of the Landfills." And to think, the zero on the back of the diploma read: IQ zero, which he thought that his leaving the Univ of D. meant I Quit. :mrgreen: AND NO, I am not going to tell him any different because logical statements are lost to him.

What is amazing is how many peer followers he has amassed? :?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

Proving once again a high word count and a high IQ are not synonymous.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Is that a plea of nolo contender?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

Hint:
When using Google to look up latin phrases, use copy and paste lest you misspelled them.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

When did paper patching machinery come into use, and did it patch bullets wet or dry?
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I used to dry patch untill one night I knocked my beer over and wet all the patches I had. Oh well, use what you got, next day won the match.😊
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.