paper patching troubles

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Re: paper patching troubles

Post by desert deuce »

BTW, I spelled it correctly, spellchecker changed it. Must be a Montana thing, possibly derived from the improper use of toxic chemicals by certain careless people.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Factory patches were originally applied by young women with great dexterity. Later on Hugo Borchardt designed a patching machine, in the description is mentioned the patch material drawn through a pan of mucilage, so they were applied wet or semi wet. Don’t kid yourself in a very few short years as Edwin Perry alluded to in his book, bullet Technology was making rapid advances from 1874.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

That's interesting, thanks Kenny.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Good read, Kenny! Thanks. One more thing for my wife to do.👍
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

opencountry wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:22 am Good read, Kenny! Thanks. One more thing for my wife to do.👍
Some people may get the wrong idea reading what I’ve just printed. The simple truth is, my wife and I live for one another! And, we’re in harmony together. We’re a team.
Robert
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Yeah Right ! Open Country, don't forget to let us know how that project works out? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

My wife is a very skilled artist. I mentioned the word ‘mucialage’ to her. She said mucilage of the bonding agent that holds cotton srt paper together. She’s as smart as a whip. I live near many very small outlying towns. I’m certain I can locate some bullet wrapping cotton paper in their pruning shop attics - hopefully…
Robert
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

opencountry wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:35 am My wife is a very skilled artist. I mentioned the word ‘mucialage’ to her. She said mucilage of the bonding agent that holds cotton srt paper together. She’s as smart as a whip. I live near many very small outlying towns. I’m certain I can locate some bullet wrapping cotton paper in their printing shop attics - hopefully…
Robert
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Mucilage was going to be my next question, thanks Robert. I find dry wrapping quite easy, I learned from Orville. Wet wrapping has challenged my patience, however, especially with Seth Cole. I may be getting the patches too wet. I tried wet wrapping with 25% cotton paper the other day and it was much easier. I'll be testing wet wrapped versus dry wrapped patches this spring. Also patches with and without a slight overlap or space, how perfect do they really need to be?

I'm wondering if the ladies were dry or wet wrapping with water or some sort of mucilage before the machine was invented. And what were the technical specifications for mucilage. Also if all the creedmoor shooters preferred wet wrapped bullets, using plain water or mucilage. This is all Kenny's fault...
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

mike herth wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:40 pm I'm wondering if the ladies were dry or wet wrapping with water or some sort of mucilage before the machine was invented. And what were the technical specifications for mucilage. Also if all the creedmoor shooters preferred wet wrapped bullets, using plain water or mucilage. This is all Kenny's fault...
It always is. :P

Wet wrapping is a piece of cake if done correctly. A saucer with distilled water a bit of rubbing alcohol added to the water. A scrubbing sponge set into the solution. Lay your patch on the sponge, them on your patching board. I use a large rubber block use my bullet to iron out any trapped air keep the block wet helps also.

Simply roll the bullet after placing the tail correctly Pull snug and roll. Fold over the Hyde base and spin and fold to the base. It’s fast and simple, set on a coffee warmer and let dry. The rubbing alcohol speeds the drying process considerably. However I noticed something else that I shared with Dan T back in the day. After drying the paper has some nap to it I believe and Dan agreed that the rubbing alcohol removes much of the sizing to the paper.

I believe that is a good thing, it definitely makes lots of confetti at the muzzle, if you have a partial roll of paper out in front of your muzzle you have a unevenly bumped up bullet the paper is too thick or the bullet too small in diameter. I find this with my hunting load using BACO thick paper and a ,442 bullet however I also use a very thick grease cookie under that bullet. Which allows many consecutive shots with out wiping.

This however is no target load, even wiping without a grease cookie the paper is too thick and bullet diameter to small. It’s (been tested) at a 2.5 MOA load at best at 200 yards. And yields at 800-1000 yards 1 dirt digger in 1 out of every 3-4/shots. That’s 2-3 misses in a 10 shot string. Not acceptable to my standards.

Thin paper fat bullets, the less that lead has to bump up diameter wise, the less setback the less slump.

Hard under sized bullets will show gas cutting and leading, evident in pics and range pick ups I have studied since 2007 when I took up PP seriously.

I am not saying my way is the only way to do it, but all have been won with PP, but 1 Creedmoor Scope title was won with a grease groove bullet, and 1 midrange scope. The rest including 2 winter national Creedmoor titles were all won with PP.

2018 midrange NRA nationals, day 1 at 600 yards, beat everyone with my Paul jones 530 gr pp Bullet at .445 for my #25 Shiloh and Seth Cole 55W. My bullet is ordered to match the Seth Cole paper to match the .0005 over bore diameter of the patched bullet. Dan T gave Paul Jones the bullet diameter needed to accomplish this in a tight bore Shiloh 25# barrel configuration. This was kept very much in mind when we designed the Dual Diameter Elliptical BACO made for me. That 2018 midrange nationals I was 3rd at 300 and 3rd at 500 yards, with that Jones bullet.

I will wet wrap.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Open Country. Question? Are you by chance related by blood or marriage to SEMTAV? Distant Cousins maybe? :o
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

desert deuce wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 pm Open Country. Question? Are you by chance related by blood or marriage to SEMTAV? Distant Cousins maybe? :o
Well, I rightly don’t know. The chances are slim. Why do you ask?
R
semtav

Post by semtav »

He knows high IQ s tend to run in family's and since we are both able to understand paperpatching so easily, something he was never able to do, he naturally assumed…..........
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thank you; my genuine respects to you as well. I have to admit I was a bit slow on understanding where things were going, and I appreciate you clarifying. I’ve always been very detail-oriented in everything I do. My wife is exactly the same; there is harmony, and rest in our partnership. I’ve been a competitive benchrest shooter for many years, but when I saw these rifles Shiloh manufactures I just had to buy a few of them in various calibers to master. I loved shooting Paul Jones’ grease groove bullets, but when I saw the potential of pp’ing I dove into this, and haven’t once regretted it. It’s fascinating. I’m going to follow Kenny’s lead on ‘wet-patching’; if this technique proves better MOA I’ll switch over immediately.
Again, thank you.
Robert
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

semtav wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:06 pm He knows high IQ s tend to run in family's and since we are both able to understand paperpatching so easily, something he was never able to do, he naturally assumed…..........

Something he was not able to do, are you talking about DD? :shock:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.