2023 Montana NW Regional Championship Silhouette Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Del

2023 Montana NW Regional Championship Silhouette Match

Post by Del »

The 2023 NW Regional Championship shot here in Montana at the Deep Creek Range in Missoula, MT has been shot and tallied. We had 43 shooters overall with 39 shooting the scope match and 35 shooting the Iron Sight match. Two shooters shot Scopes during the Iron Sight Match but just for fun. We had shooters from Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, California, Oregon, Washington, and Montana in attendance. I originally thought we were only going to have 25 to maybe 30 shooters but after a late flurry of entries came in we ended up with a respectable number. In the mix of shooters was the current Iron Sight Champion, several Regional Champions, as well as a couple of State Champions. Good numbers with good competition made for a great match!

Thursday morning like all four days started crisp and cold but quickly warmed. We had to wait until almost 10:30 for the shadows to clear for the start of the Iron Sight Match which ended up with Dave Heninger and myself in a tie for 1st with us both shooting 30. Dave had more chickens so he won by animal count, I took 2nd, and AA shooter Thom Moore came in 3rd with a 27. Friday ended up with Dave Heninger again tied for 1st place but this time with Dan Smrdel with both of them shooting 30's. Dan shot 4 chickens to Dave's 2 and Dan took 1st place by animal count and Dave got 2nd this time around. Taking 3rd was Doug Gazaway shooting a 29.

To decide the overall two day aggregate awards we had two shootoffs, the first being for 3rd Overall between Don Johnson, his shooting partner Blair Svihra, and Darrell Smithson, all shooting 54's. Don won for 3rd Overall, Blair was second which put him in 1st AAA, and Darrel ended up with 1st Master. The second shootoff was between Ed Tilton, Doug Gazaway, and Dan Smrdel, all shooting 53's. Once the smoke cleared, Ed had hit the most chickens for 2nd master and Doug was 2nd for 3rd Master. Dan ended up 2nd place in AAA. Once the shootoffs were done, we gave away awards for the Iron Sight Two Day Aggregate Match. John Eder just beat Dave Eichenlaub shooting their scopes for fun with John shooting a 50 and Dave shooting a 49. The aggregate results were:

B Class:
1st: Ronald Williams - 9
A Class:
1st: Roy Sanford - 21
AA Class:
1st: Thomas Moore - 50
2nd: Rick Poole - 46
3rd: Diana Mitchell - 45
AAA Class:
1st: Blair Svihra - 54
2nd: Dan Smrdel - 53
3rd: Ritchie Tilton - 52
Master Class:
1st: Darrell Smithson - 54
2nd: Ed Tilton - 53
3rd: Doug Gazaway - 53
High Woman: Christen McGillivray - 46
High Senior: Del Niemeyer - 56
High Super Senior: Darrell Smithson - 54
Overall:
1st: Dave Heninger - 60
2nd: Del Niemeyer - 56
3rd: Don Johnson - 54

The scope match started Saturday morning and since we were shooting scopes we got a start at about 9:30 but still with shadows on about half the animals. As school was out for the weekend, we were able to supply target setters for both days of the Scope match. The first day ended with Dave Toavs shooting a 32 for 1st and Ed Tilton and Don Johnson both shooting 31's but Ed won on animal counts with 3 chickens and Don taking 3rd. After the shooting was done for the day, we cleared off the shooting line and set up barbeques and had burgers and hot dogs supplied by the Hellgate Civilian Shooters club and the rest potluck. After the dinner was over, we had a drawing for door prizes that were graciously donated by Montana Vintage Arms, Buffalo Arms, Brooks Molds, Darrell Smithson, Redding Reloading Equipment, Steve Anderson, DGL Lube, Graff and Sons, Starline, Treebone Carving, Wolfe Publishing, and my wife's business Quiltworx which donated a quilt again this year. Gene Davids was the winner of the quilt this year...

Sunday was the final day of the match and it broke clear and cold like the last three days but warmed quickly into the low 80s by the end of the match. The high score for 1st place for the day was Doug Gazaway shooting a 33. 2nd place went to Dave Toavs again shooting a 32. 3rd Place went to Ed Tilton with a 31 and 5 chickens for high animal count beating Dan Smrdel who also shot a 31.

For the final outcome for the Scope Two Day Aggregate Match, we had two shootoffs to get through. The first was between Doug Gazaway and Dan Smrdel, both finishing with 61's. Doug won for 3rd Overall and Dan ended up with 1st AAA. The other shootoff was between Ritchie Tilton and Don Johnson, both shooting 58's, and Ritchie hit the most chickens and took 2nd AAA and Don getting 3rd AAA.

The results were:

AA Class:
1st: Jeff Smith - 51
2nd: Rick Poole - 49
3rd: Diana Mitchell - 44
AAA Class:
1st: Dan Smrdel - 61
2nd: Ritchie Tilton - 58
3rd: Don Johnson - 58
Master Class:
1st: Del Niemeyer - 57
2nd: Scott Lindley - 56
3rd: Marshall Chase - 55
High Junior: Bryan Toavs - 53
High Woman: Karen Chase - 48
High Senior: Dave Toavs - 64
High Super Senior: Doug Gazaway - 61
Overall:
1st: Dave Toavs - 64
2nd: Ed Tilton - 62
3rd: Doug Gazaway - 61

The target setters put up the targets, we all packed up our equipment, and it was over. This is last year that I'm going to be match director for this match. I think I have done it for 9 or 10 years and that's enough. There may still be a match next year but only time will tell on that one. It was fun and interesting but I have done it enough. I really appreciate those who have attended over the years and especially those that came this year and made the match one to remember. Thanks for showing up and I will be seeing most of you at other matches in the future.....

Here's the Iron Match Scores: https://www.mtbpcr.com/2023NWRCIRON.pdf
Here's the Scope Match Scores: https://www.mtbpcr.com/2023NWRCSCOPE.pdf

Del
Fortune Favors the Bold...
Y6

Re: 2023 Montana NW Regional Championship Silhouette Match

Post by Y6 »

Hi Del Thanks for and other well run NW Regional match. I've shot the last six and every one was great. I'm sure there is a lot of work required to organize this match. Thank you for all the years you have done it. Thank you Brad for the scoreboard it sure helps to keep one informed. Del I hate to see you stop being the match director but when it's time to stop it's time. I'll see you at other matches. Ritchie Tilton
Woody

Re: 2023 Montana NW Regional Championship Silhouette Match

Post by Woody »

Thanks for the write-up and congratulations to the winners, and finally thank you Del for your efforts to keep them shooten. I'll see you down the trail again one of these days.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.