Cheekpiece Advise

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

KenSt

Cheekpiece Advise

Post by KenSt »

I finally did it! I ordered my first Shiloh Sharps from Lucinda. Lot's of questions from her; #1 sporter 45-70 with the stock shown on the #2 Creedmore, steel buttplate, pewter forend, soule tang sight and semi buckhorn on the 30" barrel, Bone and Charcoal pack finish, full heavy octagon barrel, extra fancy wood. I could not answer one question regarding the cheekpiece, Yes or No. I opted for no but I am rethinking the choice. [[b]u]Any suggestions on a cheekpiece, Yes or No?[/[/b]u] My wife was very good about this, her question was "And why are WE doing this?" What an opening for a presentation on the shiloh sharps, she will be thrilled when that first black powder cartridge says hello.
Aim Twice, Shoot Once.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

If you're going to shoot silhouette or prone with your rifle I think (IMHO) that the cheekpiece helps you get a good sight picture with your tang sights. I got the cheekpiece and pistol grip on my sporter #1 in 45-70 but the one I have ordered now does not have the cheekpiece, only the pistol grip, but I may change that. My 50-70 will be a hunting rifle.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Ken,

The best thing to do is to try both types of rifles. If you can, go to rifle matches where Shilohs or C Sharps are in use and ask just to sight down the rifle. Actually, a friend has Browning BPCR and it's cheek piece also feels like my Shilohs. I have two Shiloh's with cheek pieces, a #1 and a Saddle rifle. I also have two carbines, a '63 and a '74 without the cheek piece. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. The cheek piece gives you a more massive stock, good to ease recoil, but it makes the rifle more massive looking and feeling. It's just up to you, your type of shooting and how historical you want the rifle to look. Looking at Sellers book, it's hard to tell but it looks like most hunting rifles did not have a cheek piece while the target rifles were mixed.

Rich
HvyMtl

Cheek or not to Cheek

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi

Buffalo Arms Co. sells a removable cheek rest, looks nice. That should solve your dilemma.

Ken