Carbines

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Randy Bohannon

Carbines

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Question to those who have a Shiloh carbines with a barrel band. What is your procedure for taking the rifle down for a thorough cleaning and removing the lever ? Do you remove the barrel band then the forend to loosen the lever screw ?
John Bly

Re: Carbines

Post by John Bly »

The original concept of the takedown pin on a Sharps is for field maintenance without the use of tools. With the lever closed I just push the little keeper pin and turn the takedown pin so I can twist it out. Drop the block and do whatever you need to do. Assemble it all and twist the pin back in place.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Thank you for the reply.
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

I use to do that for years with no problem but after hearing of a number of people having the lever spring break I started removing the fore end and to loosen the lever screw to take some of the tension off of the spring.I guess it s a case of better safe than sorry
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Unless the lever spring arrangement is different on a Shiloh Carbine I think Kirk answered the question in the Shiloh Support thread. He explained how to set and adjust the lever spring and once set in the proper position he advised to leave it alone. He claimed that moving the lever spring and changing positions of the lever spring is one of the primary causes of lever springs premature failure. Here is his reply on lever springs:

“ Every time you loosen the lever spring and re- tighten it you are changing the way it moves and therefore the reason behind most lever springs braking!!! It's not rocket science, put the pin in the hole and twist as you push and it will go right in. If it's an old farmingdale, not so easy, the pin has a square shoulder so you have to get more gruff...

P.S. If you have loosened the lever spring, get it straight and set so top of block is level with reciever trough when open, then tighten it tight and leave it alone!!!

Kirk,”