Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

From Along The Trail

Depth adjustment tool

Post by From Along The Trail »

From Along The Trail

Re: Depth adjustment tool

Well today I am having problems posting pictures again.

Today I noticed that on the right of the page while typing, (img) and(url) is turned on.

On another forum I post pictures on, I need to cut them off to post a picture on that forum. Do they need included, to have the picture apron this sight.

Help needed.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

What the heck is a depth adjustment tool?
Tom Trevor

Post by Tom Trevor »

Not a bad looking home made tool. Hate the Zoink thing but easy enough to open page back way.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

From Along The Trail

Thanks marlinman
That saved me some thinking. I will try with the ends on another picture later.

So with this tool there are several things that could be accomplished. It does require to destroy one case, but it gives the opportunity to see how things fit in the chamber.

How far the bullet can fit in the barrel. If you want space before bullet contacts the lands. Or do you want the bullet to engage the lands.

That will give thoughts on powder charge capacity.

And your wad selection possibilities.
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

I find no need for something like that just drop the bullet you are going to use in the chamber and use your caliper to see how far it is to the end of the chamber from to base and that will tell you how much it will be in the shell casing then you know what height your powder and wood needs to be in the case :D :D :D have fun and keep shooting
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

This widget is simpler, drop in case, put bullet in and adjust it until the bullet chambers with amount of effort you want. Then run your compression plunger down till it touches, there's your wad height. 1 for .40 and 1 for .45. Simple to make.Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

From Along The Trail wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:09 pm Thanks marlinman
That saved me some thinking. I will try with the ends on another picture later.

So with this tool there are several things that could be accomplished. It does require to destroy one case, but it gives the opportunity to see how things fit in the chamber.

How far the bullet can fit in the barrel. If you want space before bullet contacts the lands. Or do you want the bullet to engage the lands.

That will give thoughts on powder charge capacity.

And your wad selection possibilities.
Sent you a PM.
vikingsword

Post by vikingsword »

Those widgets look interesting, but wouldn't you need one for each bullet nose design?
bobw

Post by bobw »

Patch to bore diameter bullets and the correct paper thickness. Let the results on target tell you the seating depth and never worry about leading again. Seems simple to me. Bobw
bobw
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I think the tool gets seated down inside the case - whatever wad you're using gets stacked on top of that screw thingy and then the bullet of top of that - screw in or out to simulate different seating depths of whatever bullet you choose. After you get the right depth your compression depth is whatever the measurement turns out to be when measuring from the case mouth to top of wad or from base of case to top of wad. I don’t think the tool was designed to simulate the nose of a bullet - same tool can be used to determine compression depth (seating depth) for any bullet you choose. At least that’s my understanding by looking at the pics. Looks like a handy little tool.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Patchbox, you are mostly right on how it works. No the wad is not inserted, the threaded adjustable screw top represents the top of the wad or wads, put the asm. in the case and insert the bullet, a DD PP in my case. Just screw it up or down to find the sweet chambering length so desired. The the wad height is then established. No destroyed expensive brass.
kw
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking a sacrificing a case and boring the primer pocket to a 1/4”-28 tap drill size and threading 1/4”-28 and using a socket head cap screw for depth adjustment but your idea is way better - no need to ruin an otherwise good piece of brass.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Plus you can close the breech on the case to see how far you’ve gone into the lands. With a screw sticking out the base of the cartridge closing the breech is a no go.