Where In the World are You From?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Where In the World are You From?

Post by TexasMac »

As the handle indicates, I hail from Texas (Pflugerville, just north of Austin). One of my favorite stories was grandpa telling us how my relatives (McLerran's) were chased all the way to Cameron, in central Texas, after breaking a fellow out of a Tennessee jail shortly after the civil war. I understand there are still a bunch of McLerran's running around TN. Spent a few years in IL, DE, CA, and FL, couldn't stand it no longer and moved back to Austin, TX area in '84. Most of my shooting is at the Yaupon Creek range near Columbus but have made it to Raton a few times.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
art ruggiero

Re: Where In the World are You From?

Post by art ruggiero »

born in hartford ct home of colt sharps harry pope when i was young i used to take a bus to the country side with my shot gun and go hunting how things have changed since 1958 art ruggiero
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Thank for bringing up another side subject, that of posters here failing to note where they currently reside. It's like they are either ashamed of where they live or don't know where they live. You know who you are! :roll:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Dad was from Southern Indiana and Mom from East Tennessee. Dad was a career USAF enlisted. I came along at Michell Fid AFB, Long Island, NY. Grew up in France, Mass, Ind, Tenn, Ind, Tenn, and Finally again in Ind. I too spent a career in the military. Retiring as a First Sergeant from the US Army after spending tours in Berlin, Ft Knox, NY, PA, IN, MA, and CO. I finally returned to Indiana 17 years ago. This house in Southern Indiana is the longest I've lived in any one house in my 71 years.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I’m only second generation American, Grandparents from Cork Ireland came to America in 1910 with 6 kids had 10 more on a 800 acre corn farm in Cherryvale Kansas. Dad was career military, borrowed older brothers credentials enlisted in the Marines a year before WWll he turned 18 by time they figured it out then was sent to Austria for the war. Married Twila June Puckett of Parsons KS after the war and joined the USAF at its inception and was one of the first jet engine mechanics for USAF. Parents had 6 kids all six of us were born in different states. Grandparents had 98 Grandchildren in 1968 with my parents having the least amount of kids.
I did 32 years in 3 different Fire Dept’s in CA, my Father retired to CA when I was eight years old and went to work for the Navy as a jet engine mechanic.
Had a great education when CA was a very viable state, Parents put five kids through college except me the middle kid that wanted to be a fireman. That bothered my Parents for some time, then one day my Dad apologized and said he was wrong and thought a great choice I had made. My kids forget about the times I couldn’t be at one of their events but love all the time I could be there.
Wouldn’t change a single thing.
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

Born and raised in central Florida with a few years in Texas and Virginia. After 9/11 I left the old South and my old life behind and moved to Southeast Alaska in 2002. Haven’t regretted it for a moment. All 3 of my kids are Alaska natives and this is home for now. I might give the South another try someday when my old bones get tired of the dark cold winters here. Maybe the snowbird life in retirement? Summers here are pretty spectacular.
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

I too am only second generation American, my grandparents were German sugar beet farmers from the Volga River area in Russia. They 1st settled in Eastern Montana then moved to Washington State when my dad was very young. I grew up as a farm kid and I now reside on the dry and very conservative east side of the state hoping that someday we can separate from the liberal wet (west) side. I am now retired after over 30 years of service as a Public Health inspector.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Been here a while, I’m 8th generation. My family fought in the Revolutionary War and lived several generations in Pa. My ancestor married Sarah Henry, Patric Henry’s sister. So much for that history…..
I was born and raised in northern Ohio, moved to Carson City Nev. for 20 years and now reside in Fl. Am looking forward to moving back out west in the future…
Tom Klinger
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm a native Oregonian, and lived here my entire life minus time in the late 60's in the military. My dad's parents were immigrants in the 1880's from Russia, but of German ancestry. Like so many Germans in SE Russia (Ukraine today) they were persecuted by Russians and fled to the USA in the 1880's.
My mother's side have been in the US since just after the first pilgrims. At some point my mother's family decided to continue moving West as it seems our ancestors couldn't stay put anywhere for long. They moved from Virginia to Illinois area, then out West to Utah with the first Mormons, and then after the Mormons began to attack any settlers who dared come close they left and moved on to California, leaving any trace of Mormon ties, and never mentioned their previous ties again. Just before the Civil War my several time great grandfather joined the Army and served under Phil Sheridan in Oregon Territory where he met his wife, who was the daughter of one of the first settlers in Oregon. That side of my mom's family also followed a similar route from the pre Revolution War out to the Midwest and in 1843 to Oregon Territory. They married and mom's side has been here ever since the 1840's, settling and building in several parts up and down the Willamette Valley.
doug_bailey

Post by doug_bailey »

Born in Lincoln - the proper Roman one from before there was a Lincoln Alabama, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Maine.... etc. Or a president. It's an ancient city with a cathedral and castle that date back to the 11th century. While I was at my high school, we celebrated its 900th aniversary. The Romans founded it as a colony on the way North to pacify the Scots - if you have to ask how that's been going, think about it when you try your next single malt - grain not grape.

I'm an engineer - signal processing. Basically, very hard math with a lot of inscrutable integration that we now let computers take care of. I was one of the early developers of image compression technology and was recruited by a US chip company to come and implement it on a chip - which ended up being the graphics processor for the first Playstation. I put down roots, became a citizen and availed myself of your second amendment rights by buying a very nice Shiloh Sharps, which I'm working up to trying at longer than 100 yards as soon as I can find a range with that distance that is open and not 3 hours drive away from Silicon Valley.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

My great great grandfather (Rothel) was a mountain man in the Rocky Mountains in 1798 in southeast British Columbia.
That was well before Lewis and Clark came out west.

Later my Uncles were hunting guides.

For some reason I learned how to shoot extremely well.

I was born on the British Columbia & Alberta border and have resided all over Alberta as a Forester.
I retired in St. Albert, Alberta
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I'm a native Virginian living near the top corner of the state at the North end of the Shenandoah Valley. It is called the Top of Virginia so as not to be confused with Northern Virginia which is the area just outside of our nation's capital. My Bly ancestor moved to the area in the late 1760's. Ancestors have fought in every war since then. I'm a Navy veteran, took the GI bill and went to Va Tech to be an engineer. Worked 37 years for a repair and manufacturing company that specialized in keeping other companies working. I sometimes refer to myself as a reverse engineer as many times we had to figure out how something was done so we could redo it. I started building muzzle loaders when the Hawken craze hit and progressed to single shot breech loading rifles. Been shooting BPCR silhouette since 1992. Plan to keep shooting as long as I can get around to do it.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Dave I didn't know you've been here that long. My family came to Canada after WWII from Germany. I'm the first one born here. They moved to Ontario but my dad got us the heck out of there and into B.C. One of the best things he ever did was to move the family west. I'd never want to live out of sight of the mountains again :-)

Chris.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Our family has been here so long - we might be able to be considered to be Aboriginal.

We moved just east of the foothills and at first it was extremely difficult to get use to the wide openess.

Mountains and forests do ingrain into your soul Chris.
Smoke Wagon

Post by Smoke Wagon »

Missouri - Kansas border ruffian for the last 61 years.

However, I live vicariously thru Mr. Venturino and Mr. Stovall's Montana exploits.

If the God Lord is willing and the creeks don't rise, I'll move to Montana Territory in 2027.