Where In the World are You From?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Re: Where In the World are You From?

Post by ian45662 »

Southern Ohio….. Portsmouth to be exact. A town that is right on the Ohio river right across from Kentucky. In fact….. I can see Kentucky from my house.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Ne Wyoming, my grandfather homesteaded here in 1918.
Came over from Montrose Neb about 80 miles cross country. We still raise top end performance beef black Angus to be exact.

Our ranch is 42 miles north of Lusk Wyoming, 50 miles south of Newcastle. We hold the Wasserburger mile and Creedmoor match here. First mile match ever for Bpcr.

Oil patch and coal miner were my two jobs. Back in the Oil patch at the end of my career. I started on rigs at 14 soon realized that wasn’t my cup of tea. Pumping oil wells or natural gas was more to my liking. In the mines I was a lab technician then an oiler, plant operator and loaded trains out in the powder river basin. Plus I run everything from D11 dozers to bobcat skid steers.

Check out battle of Warbonnet Creek. Last of the Indian wars. Took place on my great grandfather’s ranch in Nebraska. He and my great grandfather Zerbst cut railroad ties in the Deadwood area in the 1870s.

My mom’s grandfather homesteaded 20 miles north of our ranch, around 1881. He came after 50 head of his horses that had been stolen from him. Those boys were supposedly headed to Miles City, he shot and killed ‘em both. Got his horses back. In the late teens he shot and killed another man on the Cheyenne river that had robbed his cabin. Guy was stuck in the river in a model A or T pickup. He tried to shoot my great grandfather. He picked the wrong man to get into a gunfight with. My grandfather and my great uncle were with him at the time. My great grandfather carried colt conversion pistols in one photo later 1873s. He ditched the lever guns in 1903 or so, preferred Us army 30-40 Kraigs thought it a vast improvement over the 30-30. Kraig carbines are still in the family. My mom remembered going to the big horns as a young child to hunt bear and elk.

Today there are elk on the ranch she grew up on. I harvested a nice bull just a few hundred yards off my great grandfather’s homestead 2 years ago.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Andre

Post by Andre »

I'm not a liberty to say.....
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

This is beltfed/arnie from Central Wisconsin.
I was born in Milwaukee, 1941 of Friedrich Wilhelm Seitz and Concetta Maria Megna-Seitz. Grandparents emigrated- LEGALLY from
Germany/Norway and Sicily, Italy. Aside from going to school at Case Intitute of Technology in Cleveland , Ohio, I have always lived and worked in Wisconsin. Was Director of Research at a paper mill. After I left there, I was self employed in home remodeling and repair-"you name it, I did it"
until retirement to "honey-do" at home for the last 20 yrs.
My shooting interests started with the 22 rifle during my stays and farm work at 8 yrs old on Grampa Seitz's Homestead in the woods
of Northern Wi.
I have shot smallbore 22 in High school, then bullseye, IPSC and Handgun Silhouette, High Power Service rifle, CBA Vin Mil cast bullet,
and lately back to 22 rifle, especially long range matches to include Mini Palma at 100yds and long range gong and paper matches out to 300yds.
I was casting bullets at 13 years old, and still casting 71 years later for BPCR, and smokeless rifles and occasional handguns.
I enjoy designing bullets for others- trying to return to the shooting sports that which I got out of it "pass it along"
beltfed/arnie
Arnie Seitz
Chip Mate

Post by Chip Mate »

I was born in 1958 in Poughkeepsi NY, hey even spell check doesn't like it,I am first generation American of Hungarian parents that emigrated from Europe during the 1956 Hungarian revolution. I now live in southern Arizona about 20 miles from the Mexican border in the middle of no where with my wife Debbie ,2 blood hounds a Queensland healer and 2 rescue Donkeys.I have been in Arizona for 59 years and they will have to bury me here as this is my HOME. I grew up with fire arms but the movie Quigley down under is what got me started in competitive shooting the rest is history.
From Along The Trail

Post by From Along The Trail »

I was born and live in south central Pennsylvania. Lived very close to the Appalachian Trail. Hiked some of it in different states. Have hiked some on the trail of the ancients in Florida. Hiked in the Adirondack mountains many years ago.

Then started to travel the west. Sante Fe Trail. Goodnight Loving Trail. Oregon Trail. Bozeman Trail. Was hiking in the 9 mile canyon in Utah back a few years ago. Was looking for a signature on the rocks from when a original mountain man passed there. Never found it, but a number of pictographs in several small canyons.

Hiked on a old Indian trail in Fremont Utah once. Very interesting hike with pictographs and paintings on the canyon walls.

My grand father was from the Carlisle Indian school. He married a Amish woman. Sorta a odd couple, I would think. I can remember my grandmother , but my grandfather passed before I was born.
Have been a Montana resident for over 12 years.
Wyo

Post by Wyo »

Born and raised in north central Big Horn Basin of Wyoming. My great grandparents moved to the Cody area around 1910 from Forsyth, MT. Great Grandad owned Pahaska Teepee near Yellowstone for a time, then moved into town where he ran the Irma Hotel. He died around 1926. His daughter, my grandmother, married a fella from Minnesota that was a civil engineer in the Cody area and they moved to Worland, WY in about 1931. That's where I eventually was born. I practiced law in Worland for about 20 years, then was the district court judge in Laramie from 1996 to 2017. Retired in 2017, discovered I wasn't very good at retirement and been doing a part time gig ever since. My grandparents on my mother's side were both born and raised in western Nebraska, then moved to the Basin in the early '30's where they had a general/department store for many years. Started shooting Sharps rifles in about 1984 when a friend of mine who had a place about 40 miles south of Ten Sleep, WY introduced me to them. He had one that was a Shiloh-built replica of an original they still had on the ranch. It was a 45-70 with the biggest barrel I've ever seen on a hand held rifle - weighed about 22 lbs and was like shooting a .22. The country I grew up in wasn't settled until about 1910 and I knew quite a few older folks who had been the original settlers in the area. They were a tough bunch! Had to be in an area that only got about 10" of annual moisture. Good people, though, and it was a great place to grow up.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Peckerwood Ga. They made shine and lived on roadkill. Got run out of everywhere else.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

Born in Milo Maine in 1946. Lived in Brownville Maine until 1967 & then migrated Waterville ME. in 1970, then to Las Vegas Nevada in 1975, then to Cedar City, Utah in 2006.
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
Yankee Bill

Post by Yankee Bill »

New York City. Get a rope! Hence my handle, Yankee Bill.
When I was 2 1/2 years old, Donald Trump was born less than a mile from me.
The family moved west. Well 4 or 5 miles. There, I was a mile or 2 from Creedmoor.
At age 15, we did move West, to CA. When I retired, I moved to AZ. Good move.
Yankee Bill

From God's country, Prescott, Arizona
1minute

Post by 1minute »

SE Oregon (Burns/Hines)
1Minute
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

My family first settled in the the wilderness of the New World in 1620. All but one died and that one went on to propagate what is now called Maine, Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey. Our family history includes a sea Captain whom plied the New England coast. soldiers for the rebellion during the revolution, soldiers in the Union Cavalry and I own his 5th Model Burnside Carbine, soldiers in WWII & Viet Nan, Free Masons, East Coast and Central MT rail road builders with central MT town named after GG Grandfather, Lumber Mill owners on Vancouver Island to name some family history.

For me, I was raised in Upstate New York in the small town of Ilion, home to Remington Arms. Having lived in Upstate NY, MA, MS, UT, WA State, OR and now WY, with my EE Degree, I have been around. During my lifetime I have met a great number of fantastic folks, seen a great deal of this country; all of which have something special to offer. No favorites here other than those areas which offer BPCR Silhouette shooting. I love the sport and have made many, coast to coast friendships shooting BPCR Silhouette. All good people, as demonstrated by those on this web-site.
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

RB1Shooter wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:58 pm My family first settled in the the wilderness of the New World in 1620. All but one died and that one went on to propagate what is now called Maine, Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey. Our family history includes a sea captain whom plied the New England coast. soldiers for the rebellion during the American revolution, soldiers in the Union Cavalry and I own his 5th Model Burnside Carbine, soldiers in WWII & Viet Nan, Free Masons, East Coast & Central MT railroad builders with a central MT town named after GG Grandfather, Lumber Mill owners on Vancouver Island to name some notable family history.

For me, I was raised in Upstate New York in the small town of Ilion, home to Remington Arms. Having lived in Upstate NY, MA, ME, MS, UT, WA State, OR and now WY, with my EE Degree, I have been around. During my lifetime I have met a great number of fantastic folks, seen a great deal of this country; all of which have something special to offer. No favorites here other than those areas which offer BPCR Silhouette shooting. I love the sport and have made many, coast to coast friendships shooting BPCR Silhouette. All good people, as demonstrated by those on this web-site.
Coltwcf44

Post by Coltwcf44 »

I was born in 1956 in Windsor Colorado. My grandparents immigrated to the United States from the Volga region of Russia in the 19 teens. I don't recall the exact year. My grandfather eventually made his way to northern Colorado to work in the sugar beet fields. My grandmother came along shortly thereafter. She immigrated using a relative's passport who had gotten sick and couldn't make the trip across. She was always afraid she would be deported if it was found out that she came over illegally, so she never became a citizen. After her and grandfather married they lived in a chicken coop for a time and then moved to Windsor and bought their first farm during the depression. They had a large family of ten children, 7 boys and 3 daughters which provided a large enough workforce to farm several hundred acres. They eventually ended up owning 8 farms by the late 40's. Grandfather was now raising sugar beets and also feed crops of barley, corn and alfalfa to fatten cattle on. By now his children were getting married and living on some of his farms and also raising sugar beets and feeding cattle. Fast forward 50 years. Most of his grandsons hadn't married, some have passed on. The grand daughters have married and are gone from Windsor. Some of the farms have been sold to developers. I'm 3rd generation and my son is 4th generation. I received my dads farm and have been in farming since growing up and farming on my own since high school. Development, traffic and population expansion in northern Colorado forced us out and brought us to Powell Wyoming so my son could continue farming. Glad we made the move and haven't looked back. Hope to have more time for shooting my Sharps in the very near future. I also am a Cowboy Action shooter as well.
BrazosDrifter

Post by BrazosDrifter »

Rockport Texas

Looking forward to delivery of new Shiloh Sharps in January or February 2024.

Would love to attend and then participate in matches within a reasonable distance. ( 4-5 hour drive ) Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc

Any suggestions on locations or organizations?

Also, any suggestions on "must have" features on my new rifle?

Does anyone know if any SASS events include rifles of this type?

Thanks

BrazosDrifter