Rifle won't stay cocked.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mongo40

Rifle won't stay cocked.

Post by mongo40 »

I've got a 74 Farmington Shiloh 45-70 with double set triggers that I picked up used and It needed a good cleaning so I disassembled it and gave it a good scrubbing, lots of dried up grease and a little rust under the bridal. Got it all cleaned up and back together and now it won't stay cocked. lock works fine outside of wood but once I put it back in it will cock then fire without touching trigger. I played with loosing screws on tang, and sideplate but can't find the combination! what Am I doing wrong? This is one of 4 Sharps I have and the first time I've had this problem. I spent the morning searching the internet for answers and all kinds of advice out there for blackpowder guns but not much info on Sharps rifles.
Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson
Kirk

Re: Rifle won't stay cocked.

Post by Kirk »

Sear is hanging up on wood or triggers are touching the sear
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Weird that it worked fine before and I didn't change anything with the wood or inletting, just gave it a good cleaning which it was in bad need of. I'll try shimming the trigger plate out a little and see if that helps, not sure what else to try.
Chris Wilson
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I have seen that happen. Weird but sometimes for some reason the wood will interfere out of no where. I have an original 1816 springfield that was made in 1832. Out of no where I had a similar issue and all I had to do was to just remove a tiny piece of wood where the sear was rubbing it. Has been fine since.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

swelling from humidity change or from use of solvents while cleaning? art
Blackstone

Post by Blackstone »

mongo40 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:59 am I've got a 74 Farmington Shiloh 45-70 with double set triggers that I picked up used and It needed a good cleaning so I disassembled it and gave it a good scrubbing, lots of dried up grease and a little rust under the bridal. Got it all cleaned up and back together and now it won't stay cocked. lock works fine outside of wood but once I put it back in it will cock then fire without touching trigger. I played with loosing screws on tang, and sideplate but can't find the combination! what Am I doing wrong? This is one of 4 Sharps I have and the first time I've had this problem. I spent the morning searching the internet for answers and all kinds of advice out there for blackpowder guns but not much info on Sharps rifles.
Chris Wilson
You might try loosening the bridle screw that holds the sear , actually both bridle screws shouldn't be singled down tight
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

ian45662 nailed it! Wouldn't stay cock no matter what I did so pulling the trigger plate out of the way and checking the lock when I pulled the hammer back the lever was contacting the wood and not letting the sear fully engage. so a little wood relief work with a small wood carving chisel I removed a little on that side of hole and all works as it should! I guess in taking it apart and putting it back together that something shifted just enough to cause a clearance issue. Anyway I appreciate the feedback and the problem is now solved. Thanks
Chris
Chris Wilson
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Good deal!! All is right in the world.