A new to me Sharps is supposed to be delivered today

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Cessnapilot89

A new to me Sharps is supposed to be delivered today

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

Well, I must admit I went down a rabbit hole the past month. In the 9 months since ordering my Shiloh, I've been trying to experiment with and learn as much as I can about black powder cartridge shooting. This led me into loading for my 1884 Trapdoor, then playing with 40-60 Maynard, then to shooting black powder from an 1886 Winchester and getting my first deer last month.

Then things spiraled a bit more out of control. While talking to my favorite FFL about the possibility of getting a Cimarron Sharps just to hold me over until my Shiloh arrives, I wound up doing an extensive amount of horse trading and bartering to get a Shiloh that he had found.

So, an Armalite and a Ruger later, if UPS does their part an 1874 in 50-90 should be arriving this afternoon.
semtav

Re: A new to me Sharps is supposed to be delivered today

Post by semtav »

That's great.
Make sure you find out what twist the barrel is.
They made two different ones I believe.
For two completely different purposes.
doug_bailey

Post by doug_bailey »

That's interesting - what drives the two different barrel twists?
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

doug_bailey wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:21 pm That's interesting - what drives the two different barrel twists?
One for those who want to shoot "historically correct" original weight bullets, and one for those that want to shoot big 700gr bullets :-).

Chris.
Cessnapilot89

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

It's here! Sadly the sight was damaged in shipping so I need to find a new elevation knob and screw. But the barrel cleaned up nicely and only a few handling marks . B prefix serial number 94xx.

Trying to figure out how to post pictures.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Looking forward to seeing some photos that's for sure. Did well to pick up one with another on order. That can never be a bad thing ! As for twist rates, Gunlaker pretty much nailed it. Generally the default twist is 1/22 " in the 50's unless you request a slower twist and that would be 1/36". The faster twist becoming popular when longer and hence heavier ( much heavier in the 50 :shock: ) bullets were being sourced for long range target work. I believe the original ran 1/34" for a 473 gn p/p bullet. At around this weight or not much over , the 1/36" works fine. The 1/22" does it also but allows for the 'torpedo' projectiles to benefit from the faster, more stabilising twist. They both work fine . A quick look down the barrel should tell you .
J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Cessnapilot89 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:50 pm It's here! Sadly the sight was damaged in shipping so I need to find a new elevation knob and screw. But the barrel cleaned up nicely and only a few handling marks . B prefix serial number 94xx.

Trying to figure out how to post pictures.
I’ve found the easiest way to attach a picture if it’s too large is to email yourself a copy of it and when it asks if you want it at “actual” size you select something smaller like “large” or “medium”. Then you click on the attachment tab below typing a response in the thread and add the files.
—Tom
Cessnapilot89

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

Let's see if this works.
IMG_20231215_115639.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cessnapilot89

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

Since it worked here are a few more photos.
IMG_20231215_115805.jpg
IMG_20231215_115808.jpg
IMG_20231215_115811.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Nice looking rifle butt no surprise it is a Shiloh after all there are no better made guns than that :D :D :D :D Enjoy you new toy as i call them lol
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Lovely rifle with a big kick,don’t see many of them with the hard rubber butt plate. Who ever had it before you took good care of it.
Cessnapilot89

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

It came to me via a pawn shop in Portland. Now to get the sight fixed, find brass, and continue to be thankful for a wife that understands my firearm collecting.

Do any of you gents know where I can find a decent case for it?
bobw

Post by bobw »

Your local Cabelas sells a case for about $130 that has their name on it but built by Boyt I believe. Atleast the Boyt I bought looked just like it. Heavy hinge 4 cam fasteners and 2 holes for padlocks. The case itself is 3 to 4 times thicker plastic than an original. I bought a gun on the west coast and cut some end plates to fit inside it out of 7/16: osb with extra foam for muzzle and butt. Sent it to the seller and he carefully packed the rifle in the case. Case was then put in the original cardboard box and taped up.sent empty costs 40 bucks back it was 60+. Yeah over 100 both ways but gun showed up in 1 piece undamaged so it wasn't expensive at all. I've read to many horror stories about shipped guns so I spent the money for a GOOD shipping case. It's to awkward for any use other than shipping. Goodluck on getting your sight fixed.
Bobw
bobw
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Very nice. Congratulations on your new acquisition. Is that a 30 or 32" bbl ? The sight appears to be an MVA transition sight ..or possibly an earlier Riflesmith ? A set of cross sticks fell across my elevator screw at a shoot one year and MVA were on hand to replace it. It wasnt cheap but it was a lot less expensive than a new sight. They may be able to help you. Enjoy .

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Why would anyone ship a rifle with the tang sight installed? Carrier rough handling is something to count on.