Sourcing Primers

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

doug_bailey

Sourcing Primers

Post by doug_bailey »

I'm down to my last 30 primers and I'm having a really hard time finding any "large rifle" from reputable outfits. An online search reveals plenty of places that claim to have them, but want to be paid with "PayPal Friends and Family" mode, which pretty much means that it's a scam - and that's easily confirmed with a targeted search linking scam and the company name.

The local stores here don't have any, and Midway doesn't. Is there some kind of problem in supply (fire at factory, regulatory issue, crazy preppers up the supply chain building stockpiles etc)?

I was using the CCI BR-2 Large Rifle, and I'd like to keep using those if possible, but at this point I'll take anything I can get.
SharpsBig50

Re: Sourcing Primers

Post by SharpsBig50 »

The last 3 years happened! Natchez, midway and probably some of the other places will let you request to be notified when some come into stock. It’s a crap shoot since you pretty much need to order as soon as you are notified.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Try “Outdoor Limited”. They are legit and reputable. Looks like they have some large rifle primers in stock. I ordered some from them about 2 months ago. I got Remington large rifle, large pistol, and small pistol. No issues with their service and delivery and they delivered on time.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Bruno's has Rem 2 1/2 large pistols at a better price.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Ok, thanks! I was just about to buy another 5000 large pistol and small pistol. I’ll check em out.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I visited Brunos Phoenix a few days ago. Had a good selection of Large Rifle, Large Pistol and the various small primers.
I saw some CCI-BR cartons but didn't notice whether they were large or small rifle.

Had Lapua .22 long range match also
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
doug_bailey

Post by doug_bailey »

Checked online - Outdoor does not have large rifle and neither does Bruno's. There seems to be plenty of small rifle and a selection of pistol primers on the market, but large rifle primers are hard to get. Strange...
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

doug_bailey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:37 pm Checked online - Outdoor does not have large rifle and neither does Bruno's. There seems to be plenty of small rifle and a selection of pistol primers on the market, but large rifle primers are hard to get. Strange...
The primer problem is the same as the brass. The couple of factories making them are at capacity including overtime right now with govt contracts arming three letter agencies and proxy war countries. What LR and LRMag ones they are making are going straight to the ammunition manufacturers which are also at capacity. That's why we are seeing the ones available that we do, those are the primary ones being made and selling the extras in the civilian market. Combine that with whenever they do appear on shelves you have guys buying thousands that they will never use just to have them. Reloaders are an afterthought and always have been. A lot of companies like the one I work for who have a govt contract are required per the contract to maintain a certain capacity whether the current contract is using it or not. That allows the ability to rapidly increase production in case there’s a war or something, So when the contracts aren’t eating up the capacity as was usually the case they were able to use it to put out primers for us. Unfortunately this won’t be over anytime soon. Also I apologize to everyone for saying capacity too much.
—Tom
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

With the war going on in the Middle East and Hezbola getting ready to start a fight in Lebenon. Couple that to the Russia and Ukraine conflict plus, Baltic Countries building up arms to defend against a large Russian build-up on their borders. China trying to provoke Taiwan, North Korea & South Korea building armies on their borders along with Venezuela annexing 1/2 of Guyana and Brazil moving troops to the Venezuela border; I don't think we'll be seeing Large Rifle primers anytime soon.

Large Pistol Primers seem to be plentiful so you might think about using them.
doug_bailey

Post by doug_bailey »

As RB1Shooter said, it seems to be easy to find "Large Pistol" primers. What is the difference between the various primer types? Will "Large Pistol" fit OK into Starline 45-70 brass?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

You know, I remember during the Vietnam era I had no problems buying most any kind or quantity of whatever primer I wanted. Small pistol primers by Smith & Wesson, Alcan and Fiocci on sale were dirt cheap. I also recall seeing astronomical numbers for military contract ammunition production. That lasted right up until about 2010. BUT, I could still get any kind or quantity for an increasing price till about 2013. I think I bought my last sleeves of CCI-BR2's for about $200.00 a sleeve of 5M. I recently saw them at a gun show $160 a thousand.

Then I remember seeing then President Obama say something to the effect that guns won't do the people any good if they can't get bullets to shoot in them. Shortly thereafter prices went up considerably and not long after that supply diminished, now dramatically.

I can't accept as fact that the current shortage has anything to do with the laws of supply and demand. I also have a fairly good understanding of misinformation and disinformation. AND, if you don't really dig into things all you know is what someone tells you.

BTW, I use Large Pistol Primers EXCLUSIVELY in 45-70 black powder ammunition in Starline Cases with Swiss. Pretty much same in 45-90. CCI-300's in particular work well in Remington and Winchester Cases. My Trapdoor prefers rifle primers, LRM in particular.

If you peruse the match reports in Black Powder Cartridge News you will discover many of the midrange and long range target matches are won with large pistol primers in 45-70 & 45-90 rifles with Swiss BLACK POWDER.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

“Then I remember seeing then President Obama say something to the effect that guns won't do the people any good if they can't get bullets to shoot in them. Shortly thereafter prices went up considerably and not long after that supply diminished, now dramatically.”

Bingo!
steveu834

Post by steveu834 »

I just loaded up some 40-65 based on Starline 45-70 brass with cci LP. Seated with my coaxe press, they were.003” below flush. I have chrono’d the load with Remington LR and the avg velocity for the LP was 10 fps less for a 12 shot string.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Has anyone used Unix/Ginex primers? Seems like the situation is that you use what you can get…