Sourcing Primers

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

steveu834

Re: Sourcing Primers

Post by steveu834 »

desert deuce wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:56 pm Steveu834 wrote: I have chrono’d the load with Remington LR and the avg velocity for the LP was 10 fps less for a 12 shot string.

Steve, my friend, did you chronograph the ES (extreme spread) for the 12 shots for the Rem 2 1/2 and the ES for 12 shots with the Rem 9 1/2's ?

AND, being that you are loading 40-65, 10 FPS variation in a 40-65 for ES should pattern in under one minute out to Turkeys and maybe even at rams.

Are you capable of holding under a minute at Rams?

BTW, I intentionally seat primers at least three thou below flush in smokeless and black powder cases both rifle and revolver as a rule of thumb. You want the anvil seated positively into the mix uniformly.

Yes, es for both loads was 9 fps. Not tested on rams yet, but at 400 yards the rifle primer load is under 1.5 moa. I am still working on the leading issue I am having. May be going to a 95-2.5-2.5 alloy. I have changed the lube but have not had a chance to shoot it yet. All my primer seating is done on my coax press.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

DeadEye wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:44 pm Chris, there are a lot of primers showing up on that site I referenced. https://extremerangeoutfitters.com/ Most anything you want as long as you're willing to pay for it. Check it out.

Thinking ahead to the summer have you heard if Hefley Creek will be holding their shoot in '24?

Paul
Thank Paul.

I'm sure the Heffley shoot will be on. The only thing that could stop it is forest fire danger. This year they shut the range down for a while when the season got really bad. I think that the match is early enough in the year that we are probably ok.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Steve, what leading issue? Usually, not always, leading in the bore is related to the build up of hard fouling, as in hard powder residue. So maybe we should discuss bore fouling control before we crack those containers of Swiss.

If it were me I would cure that problem before I started experimenting with that 2 pounds of black gold.

Just sayin"
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Jarred my memory. A manufacturer's representative wanted to send me one pound of his company's black powder to test in a 44 2.6 and do a write up for his R&D unit. I asked him how many cartridges he thought I could load with one pound of powder? His answer, "Oh, about 150-175."

Then I asked how many loaded rounds he thought would be needed to carry out the range tests he was requesting? His answer, "Oh, about 50."

I then advised him it would take a minimum of 2 trips to the range, 2x160 miles round trip (320 miles). 3 trips to the local range 90 miles.
Average 70-73 loaded rounds to the pound of powder and minimum 40 rounds load development and at least 60 rounds testing on targets at 3 distances at a minimum. Estimate 35 hours labor and travel.

Have not heard from him since. :?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bandanaman

Post by bandanaman »

gunlaker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:35 pm A bunch of LR primers have just showed up here. The brand is Ginex and they are made in Bosnia!

I don't plan on trying them unless I actually run out. Apparently they work fine, but the cups are on the large side and require lots of force to get them to seat in the pocket.

Desperate times indeed for those who've run out.

Chris.
I saw these as well and have accumulated about 2900 which I hope will get me by till more choice is available at an affordable price. I’ll use these for my 308,6.5x55 and 22-250 as well.I picked up 2 blocks of 1000 and I see they’re also selling blocks of 5000 which I personally have not run across before.This outlet does not ship to the USA however.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

bandanaman wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:34 am
gunlaker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:35 pm A bunch of LR primers have just showed up here. The brand is Ginex and they are made in Bosnia!

I don't plan on trying them unless I actually run out. Apparently they work fine, but the cups are on the large side and require lots of force to get them to seat in the pocket.

Chris.
I saw these as well and have accumulated about 2900 which I hope will get me by till more choice is available at an affordable price. I’ll use these for my 308,6.5x55 and 22-250 as well.I picked up 2 blocks of 1000 and I see they’re also selling blocks of 5000 which I personally have not run across before.This outlet does not ship to the USA however.
Have you tried seating them into any brass yet? I've heard some people say they are big enough that you can't use a hand priming tool.

Chris.
bandanaman

Post by bandanaman »

gunlaker wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:48 am
bandanaman wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:34 am

Chris.
Have you tried seating them into any brass yet? I've heard some people say they are big enough that you can't use a hand priming tool.

Chris.
So far I have only seated 50 LRP for a recently acquired 308 and now that you mention it I did find some required considerable pressure where several I would turn and give it a second go.Being the first time loading this used brass and new caliber I hadn’t given it much thought. I use my Rockchucker for priming but I could see that with a hand priming tool you could possibly struggle.(I have not used one as yet)
I have been using the Ginex primers in LPP for my 44-40 and have had no issues so far. This lever gun is my “plinker “ for trail walks etc. and I really haven’t scrutinized their performance. They all went bang and seated relatively easy in this caliber and brass .