Sourcing Primers

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

George Babits

Re: Sourcing Primers

Post by George Babits »

You can look back a bit further than Obama. There was a primer shortage when Clinton got elected too. The pattern is pretty obvious. The prices always go up when a democrat gets into office and creates a "shortage." The sad thing is that when they leave, the prices never go back down.

George
doug_bailey

Post by doug_bailey »

OK - it turns out that Large Pistol primers are in short supply also, but perhaps less problematic than rifle, so folks are still claiming they have them until you try to put them in your cart, then they vanish or become "out of stock".

I finally found some Remmington "large pistol" and bought them. Hopefully they will work OK. If not, I might need to but some Colt 45s, just to use them up :D
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Graf's has the Unix LR primers in stock, ~$550/5000. Limit two per, so I bought 2.
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

DD said:

"I can't accept as fact that the current shortage has anything to do with the laws of supply and demand. I also have a fairly good understanding of misinformation and disinformation. AND, if you don't really dig into things all you know is what someone tells you.... "

If one thinks/reasons about it, all pistol primers are easy to get. Small rifle primers both standard and match are easy to get, ammo using large rifle primers is easy to get; why just Large Rifle primers? Right before 07Oct'23, you were starting to see Large rifle primers: Fed210, REM 9.5, WLR, CCI-BR2, Fiocchi and WLR mag, REM 9.5 mag. What changed to cause that availability to essentially dry up overnight?

If the gov't was trying to limit supply, I would think we would see shortages across the board; what am I missing here?
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Going a little goofy up here since Biden put a stop to exports. This is from an Auction site in Saskatchewan. With 5 days left to bid I can imagine that brick of standard Federal LR primers will reach $500.

Federal

PRIMERS LARGE RIFLE X1000 #12113XXX
Watch
Current Bid
$336.00 24 bids
CAD
Time Left 5d 22h
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

DeadEye wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:24 pm Going a little goofy up here since Biden put a stop to exports. This is from an Auction site in Saskatchewan. With 5 days left to bid I can imagine that brick of standard Federal LR primers will reach $500.

Federal

PRIMERS LARGE RIFLE X1000 #12113XXX
Watch
Current Bid
$336.00 24 bids
CAD
Time Left 5d 22h
I just saw 200 primers listed for $70 CDN today. I haven't seen any large rifle in the local gun shop for about 2 years now. Large pistol maybe a year ago.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

A bit of a grain of fact to consider. If there is a moratorium on exporting primers from the United States why then are they scarce in the exporting country? Another one of those little intelligence markers that dot the landscape pointing to an artificial shortage.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Steveu834 wrote: I have chrono’d the load with Remington LR and the avg velocity for the LP was 10 fps less for a 12 shot string.

Steve, my friend, did you chronograph the ES (extreme spread) for the 12 shots for the Rem 2 1/2 and the ES for 12 shots with the Rem 9 1/2's ?

AND, being that you are loading 40-65, 10 FPS variation in a 40-65 for ES should pattern in under one minute out to Turkeys and maybe even at rams.

Are you capable of holding under a minute at Rams?

BTW, I intentionally seat primers at least three thou below flush in smokeless and black powder cases both rifle and revolver as a rule of thumb. You want the anvil seated positively into the mix uniformly.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

There was a guy selling these on the local street corner:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

patchbox wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:13 am There was a guy selling these on the local street corner:
Hopefully he wasn't keistering those things around LOL......
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

You can pretty much buy any primer you want here. Have picked up large rifle and small rifle primers in 2 different towns. Bricks are under $90. Large rifle Magnum are only available a couple sleeves per visit.
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

I wish it were that way all over USA. I know Small Rifle Primers pretty easy to get. You can find LR Primers online if, you know where to look, your quick and don't mind paying a bit more however, $80/1000? That's a pipe dream however, good for you!
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

JonnyV wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:30 am
patchbox wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:13 am There was a guy selling these on the local street corner:
Hopefully he wasn't keistering those things around LOL......
Hahaha! 😂😂😂. I hope not.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

A bunch of LR primers have just showed up here. The brand is Ginex and they are made in Bosnia!

I don't plan on trying them unless I actually run out. Apparently they work fine, but the cups are on the large side and require lots of force to get them to seat in the pocket.

Desperate times indeed for those who've run out.

Chris.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Chris, there are a lot of primers showing up on that site I referenced. https://extremerangeoutfitters.com/ Most anything you want as long as you're willing to pay for it. Check it out.

Thinking ahead to the summer have you heard if Hefley Creek will be holding their shoot in '24?

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."