Large Rifle Primers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bpcrshooter62

Re: Large Rifle Primers

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Well LR primers are still hard to find up here but they are out there most places that have them are putting limits on them form 100 to 1000 per order. I got lucky and a guy offered me up too 40000 of the same lot number. A few of us got together and bought the whole lot from him did not like the price butt at least we have primers as it does not sound like things are going to get any better for a while up here anyway. Now powder is just about as bad bought all we could find over the last month or so 165 lbs now they are out of powder waiting for next shipment to arrive if and when who knows these days but i am set for a while now as well as a few others here buying together saves on shipping and hasmate charges as well. :D :D :D keep shooting and having fun :D :D :D
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

UP Here? :?: Where is UP HERE? Buffalo, NY, Alberta, Canada, Plentywood, Montana ? :?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

DD Saskatchewan Canada lol
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

BPCR - you might check-out "Everything Black Powder" on YouTube. I would suggest the toilet paper recipe.
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

RB1Shooter what the H is that ? lol
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

bpcrshooter62 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:34 pm RB1Shooter what the H is that ? lol
I’ve seen what he’s talking about. Actually it’s pretty interesting. A guy makes black powder using a roll of toilet paper as the carbon source and the powder ends up faster and cleaner than Swiss with his batches. I felt the claim was a bit out there until actually watching it and looking into his methods. Not bad really. He does a lot more than most home powder makers do to ensure consistency and faster better burning products. Most of his result is in the process but he does try other carbon sources as a comparison and most of them weren’t as good as Swiss except the toilet paper (brand made a difference) and I think balsa wood but don’t quote me on the last one.
—Tom
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

The balsa wood was good but, if I remember correctly, it was dirtier than Swiss. The TP carbon source, you need to use is Cottonel. He tried another brand and it wasn't near as good. He also has a 2 part program where he goes through and shows you how to make the powder. He does a good job and fun to watch.

Just google search "youtube everything black powder" and you'll find him.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

No, it was superior to Swiss in that it was more powerful and cleaner. I just watched it. The cottonelle toilet paper one was pretty equal to Swiss
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

That’s a very interesting series of videos. I wonder if the ingredients could be ball milled slightly damp? I’d be concerned if that whole mess blew - lead balls flying everywhere. Other thing is if something goes off during the corning process. Those pucks are so dense that they would go off extremely fast if they had a low enough moisture content and they ignited. It’s not if something happens, it’s when. Only way I’d attempt that is if I had a big spread of land where no one else was around. Run a 100 yards of extension cord out to that ball mill.
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

I believe he has a video showing how he ball mills. I may be thinking of another but I'm pretty sure he does.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Ok, yeah, I took a look at the entire process he lays out. It’s actually not that bad from a safety standpoint. He keeps everything in small batches. When ball milling the powder is not compressed so even if it did ignite the burning speed is going to be slow. I saw his video on how he corns the pucks through one of those hand grinding machines - again, very small batches. Looks like something I’d like to try but not where I currently live - 2 bedroom condo in California. Haha! I’ll wait till I retire and move to another state.
Luke

Post by Luke »

He has changed a few things, and has promised a new set of videos on his current process. He's currently milling with brass spheres.
Limber Up!
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - brass or bronze spheres.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

McMaster-Carr has 260 Brass balls :lol: from 1/16” all the way up to 3/4”
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I’m thinking a mix of 1/4” diameter, 1/2” diameter & 3/4” diameter would be a good start.