Dry Firing

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ShermanCoShooter

Dry Firing

Post by ShermanCoShooter »

When dry firing a Shiloh rifle, is it better to use a snap cap or lower the hammer the whole way down and set the trigger?
marlinman93

Re: Dry Firing

Post by marlinman93 »

ShermanCoShooter wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:48 am When dry firing a Shiloh rifle, is it better to use a snap cap or lower the hammer the whole way down and set the trigger?
Why cock the hammer at all? If your Shiloh has set triggers you can set them and practice tripping them with the hammer down. Having it drop wont change anything about practicing, except to possible harm the firing pin system.
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

I feel like I rememeber a post awhile back where Kirk said to never dry fire without a snap cap. Now obviously if you’ve got set triggers you’re fine if the hammer is all the way down to practice that way. If you’re using a single trigger use a snap cap to drop the hammer for dry fire practice. Never use the set trigger in half cock.
—Tom
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I believe Kirk also said never to set and dry fire the set triggers with the hammer at half cock.
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

Sharps rifles ain’t ‘across the course’ rifles! They were meant to be shot prone off ya belly or sittin on ya ass!
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!