"Adobe Walls" Day

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Hidehunter

"Adobe Walls" Day

Post by Hidehunter »

At 2:00 this morning I was awakened by a loud 'crack' sound coming from the roof. (Or was it just to take a leak?)

The Adobe Walls battle took place on June 27, 1874. For all of us interested in western history - especially the great buffalo hunt - today would be a good day to fondle the old Sharps and think of the events that took place on the Texas plains exactly 130 years ago. It's a good day to think of the plight of the hunters fighting for their lives as well as the Indians fighting for their way of life. Maybe pay a little tribute to the Shadler brothers, Mr. Olds and Billy Tyler along with those who lost their lives on the other side.

I often think I was born in the wrong century, a feeling I'm sure many others on this board share. But when you look at things from a historical perspective, 130 years is really not all that long ago.
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Well, 22 yrs ago today I married my wife.... nope the battle for me didn't begin there :lol:

But this is a good post to reflect back on Adobe Walls.
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Good post! Maybe they should make it an official holiday!

I lift my glass in memory to those on both sides that gave up their lives that day.

Joe Burr
RMulhern

Adobe Walls

Post by RMulhern »

Hidehunter

<< I was born in the wrong century>>

Words of Elliot Marrston in Quigley Down Under!

"This ain't Dodge City....and you ain't Bill Hickok"!

Mathew Quigley

:lol: :roll: :lol:
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Rick,

I think it was,

"some men are born in the wrong century, I think I was born on the wrong continent."

Kenny Wasserburger
Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

RMulhern

Adobe Walls

Post by RMulhern »

Kenny

You've been "lurking"!! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Rick,

Remember Quigley was from Wyoming!

Yeah dropped in for a min.

Kenny Wasserburger

Got home last night at 7 pm from Montana, did not get to shoot the irons the match was full but did hang with the shiloh gang a couple days and I shot my first scope match. It was interesting!
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

RMulhern

Adobe Walls

Post by RMulhern »

Kenny:

No shooting down here for two weeks: rain, rain, and more rain! And mosquitoes that look like B-17's! Gonna fix them however as tomorrow I'm gonna fire the airplane up and spray the "fonk" out of 'em!

I'd be a wantin to know bout the scope match! You stated "interesting" but do I detect a little "wonderment" maybe?? :lol: :roll: :lol:
pete

Post by pete »

Hidehunter; Thanks for reminding. It was coincidental but we had buffalo steaks this evening. In the book THE BUFFALO WAR the author says the beam cracking that morning was a ruse designed by Hanrahan to get the hunters up early that morning because he knew the attack was coming because of news brought by scout Amos Chapman. According to the book Hanrahan even had a fresh beam replacement ready to go. I believe J Wright Mooar also said the beam didn't break. He wasn't there when the fight happened but must have heard something.