Saeco mold problem

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

cat1870

Saeco mold problem

Post by cat1870 »

I have a new Seaco mold that the spru cutter will not stay tight to the top of the mold. I have to tighten the screw almost every time I cast a bullet.
This is a PITA. Any suggestions on how to keep the screw tight with this new mold?
Thanks guys.

Gary
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
marlinman93

Re: Saeco mold problem

Post by marlinman93 »

Easy. Put some blue Loctite on it before you set the tension, and they'll stay put and not loosen up.
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Is there not a set screw on the side of the mold to tighten to stop the screw from coming loose? :D :D :D
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

bpcrshooter62 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:43 pm Is there not a set screw on the side of the mold to tighten to stop the screw from coming loose? :D :D :D
Nope....
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

If there is not set screw on the side to prevent the screw from loosening - take to a machinist to drill a hole and thread it so a set screw can be put in to stop the sprue plate screw from rotating out.

Then you can adjust the tension whereas it is difficult to do if you use locktite on it.
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

SchuetzenDave wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:06 pm If there is not set screw on the side to prevent the screw from loosening - take to a machinist to drill a hole and thread it so a set screw can be put in to stop the sprue plate screw from rotating out.

Then you can adjust the tension whereas it is difficult to do if you use locktite on it.
New mold, shouldn't have to do any modifications...
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Back In The Last Century I had a mould that exhibited the same behaviour. An old-time bullet caster suggested placing a wave washer between the sprue plate and spruce plate screw, Found one of the appropriate screw diameter in the local hardware store. The wave washer cured the problem.

Wave washer found on the Home Depot site: "Wave Spring Washer: Wave spring washers are curved in two directions, creating a wave-like shape.Application: Used most often as cushions or spacers."
https://www.homedepot.com/c/ab/types-of ... 90d91f22f6
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
steveu834

Post by steveu834 »

Call the tech support
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Wave washers work to a certain degree but I have still had them slip.

The good quality mould makers prevent slipping of the sprue screw is to lock it with a set screw.

My .32 Spitzer Paul Jones mould has not had to be reset in thirty years after casting over 60,000 bullets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

I'm not familiar with Saeco mould blocks but the omission of a set / locking screw on the vertical face to secure the sprue pivot screw seems very odd. Wave washers certainly do help and several manufacturers supply their moulds with these..but they wont replace the set/lock screw..but rather work together to fine tune any sprue tension you are after. Not knowing but is it possible this one 'snuck through' final inspection ? A call to the maker should clear that up. Possibly a replacement or send back for them to remedy. Saeco blocks get mentioned a lot..so I'd imagine someone can chime in to advise if they normally have the set screw ?
.. J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I have several Saeco moulds and they all have the drilled and tapped hole that intersects with the threaded pivot screw hole. The first section of the hole is relieved or slightly larger diameter and the last, say, maybe 3/8” of the hole where it intersects is the smaller threaded portion. I believe it’s threaded 10-32. Mine has a brass ball ahead of the set screw that impinges on the pivot screw so as not damage the threads. Unless Saeco changed their design I suspect the mould skipped part of their manufacturing process and quality control missed it.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I’ve used “wave washers” on a couple of my moulds that have done that with complete satisfaction.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Another thing you could do. Take the screw out. Crimp the end of the screw a little with the cutting portion of some pliers. Booger the threads up just a little. That will give some resistance when you tighten it back up.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Well I learned something from this thread :-). I have dozens of molds from lots of makers, Seaco, Buffalo Arms, Paul Jones, and others. I had never noticed a set screw. Just went downstairs and found that they all seem to have them :D :D

Chris.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

OP, is this a newer made mould? :?
Both of my older ones have the set screw.
Call the maker, and let us know what they say.....
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"