NRA

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Re: NRA

Post by bobw »

Don McDowell wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:49 pm
desert deuce wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:57 pm I replied to this post by Ranch23 Jan 19th, still have not received a reply: "I have been in contact as much as possible, even submitted to be on the board, but it's like everything else that involves the government. We are at the submit your site for consideration stage." So?
The Wy state legislature set aside a large sum of money in the 22 session to form a commission to look at the possibility of the state building a shooting complex. As with any political/good ol boy commissions it's liable to be a good time had by the handful that were selected to be on the commission. Probably take years to get the thing settled in, if the funding to build the thing would be approved. Just the land to put one on will cost a million bucks at the minimum, and that's not going to go down well with all the illegal immigrants that have flocked here from the communist countries mostly located in the eastern, central and pacific time zones...
This year is a 20 day budget session and while there's not a lot of good that will come from it, they did vote to eliminate gun free zones, but they are spending and inordinate amount of time fighting about whether or not to defund the DEI group with the University, and strip the governors slush fund for green energy.. And today they're going on about how it'll cost another couple million to convene special sessions to override the expected governor's veto on the few good things that look to be passed out of session.

But there was a post shared by a known bpcr shooter showing the progress South Dakota is making on their shooting complex just north of Rapid City, but the video looked to be mostly pistol bays and the like..
Don, I did some checking on line and will make some calls on Monday about the complex. But I do know the neighboring ranchers did not want it ( traffic, noise, pre imagined safety concerns). Looking at the map view it looks like the long range bay has 20 firing points to 1200yds. I don't know how many are set up as specific 800, 900, and 1000 yd firing points as it just says some of the points are 3,4, 5, 6,7,8,900 ,1000,1100 and 1200 yard butts. I don't know the intended use of the long range bay but the Rapid City rifle and pistol club has a strong prescence and influence in the area. So hi- power is probably the major intent. I'll try to report back what I find out. Bobw
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

I timed out adding an edit. But what I wanted to say is that the SD GFP is the major player on this facility being built with mostly Pittman -Robertson funds and it has taken years to get to this point. No is going to change their use plan but.maybe get some accomodation of it for bpcr. Bobw
bobw
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Agree. Looks like the South Dakota project is the baby of SD Game and Fish and is too far along to even modify. Entrenched Bureaucrats are deeply territorial and protective of their projects.
Yet to be determined the current state for the Wyoming Committee. However, if a political deal has yet to reach closure on the project there is hope.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bob according to that thing on the SDGF web site it's a 265milliion dollar project. The long range has 20 shooting lanes 10 ft wide, each lane will accommodate 2 shooters and the targets are steel. So I'm betting the thing is set up for PRC stuff. Targets will likely be pretty small. But it would be cool if they could set them up large enough to shoot with bpcr and a separate score able center like Kenny's recreation of the original Creedmoor targets.. I didn't see anything about a sillhouette range?

I suspect if the Wyoming complex happens it'll be much the same. It's just a shame that they rejected/ignored several requests from competition shooters with broad travel experience to be on the committee . That leaves doubt that if and when it does happen and the funding does get approved it will be much of any thing useful to the bpcr community. of the few press releases about it they were all tickled they made the big trip to the CAMEO at Grand Junction, which looking at that thing it's a bit of a miserable place, with no facility to handle over night stays or food concessions.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bobw

Post by bobw »

Could be Don I went past the gfp site and saw a plan for the lr Bay with no real detail on lane set up or range other than the right (S) side being shorter so maybe the staggered butts there. Pure speculation on my part. Haven't heard of their op plan for target painting or replacement either. Steel targets would require less upkeep than paper on backers but maintenance period. PrC? Don't know, I am not moving around much right now but I've got around pretty good till getting a new knee on 2/12 and I haven't heard anyone talking up that venue. Gotta remember the big push on this facility was GFP and their Hunt Safe program. Youth involvement to the max recruiting new generations to field and target shotgun sports with safety and ethics prime drivers. Yet 1200 yd bay suggests others uses. Again I'll ask around. Their are some exciting prospects for the facility 14-15 miles from home. Bobw
bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bob I do know there are several PRC matches in South Dakota, so it would follow that the GFP would seize an opportunity..
I did find with some digging on Google some more information on the Wyoming committee. Best I can tell Tom Outland is the only bpcr shooter that has attended a meeting. Looking at the minutes and make up, I'm betting on the thing ending up in the Wind River/Big Horn valley. I do know personally 2 of the legislators on the committee, so after this budget session gets over with will contact them and pick their brain a little. One of them I'm supposed to contact after a meeting on Tuesday on a green energy project( hopefully we can get that mess shut down), so maybe can dig some more info.
But can't help but notice the difference the legislature requirements on minutes and the requirements they unload on special districts for reporting....
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Seriously, I read the following post and have to ask:

Post by Jeanne Ring » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:39 pm
Never received a message from you, Mr. Mate. Must have been a glitch.

Is this Jeanne Ring or Glenn Ring posting in her name? Jeanne is probably smart enough to know that a 200 yard national record has nothing to do with silhouette. But Glenn??? Well, what can I say that has not already been said?

I was Chip's shooting partner spotter/scorer that day. Yes, he not only set the 200 yard offhand national record, Chip set the high score on the position aggregate as a national record for the new course of fire passed in Black Powder Committee 2016 as I recall.

Ever hear of a guy name of Greg Conner?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

For those that weren't there or may have missed seeing the picture of Chip and his target
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well don't really.know much about her gripe but atleast know she don"t hold grudges. Did you turn her down DD?
bobw
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Now it is obvious we are being spoofed.

Glenn wrote for Jeanne in reply above: "I have never been to a BPTR match."

Exactly the point Glenn. Why would Chip contact someone not involved In a TARGET MATCH where he set two national records?

BTW, are you saying you are going to help run the NRA silhouette match at Raton in July, or just be there to shoot?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Now Bobw, you, I, and everyone else on this forum know that is Glenny Girl posting for Jeanne
Maybe we should ask Shiloh Forum to ban them both since just banning Glenny Girl didn't stop it from posting.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Don, I don't know they shoot prc down at Martin and over to Ft Pierre. The latest blurb was to open by October 2025 but the project manager on it says because of our mild winter a pile of dirt work has been done and it might open earlier. The release also said the complex with it's various venues and ranges would and could be used for various matches. How big are the mid range targets? I don't know if the butts will be on skids or permanent but if portable it could be configured to alot of needs or uses of different matches. Will try to contact in the.next week or so. Bob
bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bob all the target frames used in bptr are 6ft square, but the scoring rings are quite a bit under that.
It would be possible to make steel targets to the size of the targets used at each distance and still retain the score able center swinger.
For instance the 600 yard target could be a 5 ft circle with a 12 inch center, the 300, 37 inch circle with a 6 inch center plate. Another option might be to build something like Mulhern has with the various scoring rings mounted onto a trailer receiver hitch to make it simpler to go from one yardage to another.
Basically if maybe say you and Dick Savage went together and presented them with something usable, a gong match based on Creedmoor could be born..
and with the number of shooters located within a 3-4 hour or less drive it could become a real thing.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Hard to say I talked to a couple of guys that are in the hierarchy of the Rapid City rifle and pistol club and they didn't know much more than I've learned in a couple of days. I am going to go see the project manager in a few days he is a big shot I'll prolly need an appt to see him. With 20.lanes in the lr Bay out to 1200yds alot could be done if the target frames are movable. Even with a 10 ' width a guy could get.6 or 7 shooting points in 4 lanes. Without knowing anything more specific it's all conjecture. Affiliation to an org is another question too.. Not sure anyone around here wants the NRA's camel nose under any tent flap. Know more when I talk to them. Bobw
bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well good luck with it
As any bpcr match other than sillywet shot on steel isn’t covered by governing bodies the only real hang up might be the insurance and the cost of the targets