I might be on my way to being an Mpro 7 user.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

I might be on my way to being an Mpro 7 user.

Post by gunlaker »

I have done some experimenting with BACO bore wipers in the past. I didn't stick with them for long though as I just seemed to get more consistent vertical with regular wiping between shots. But I have previously only used NAPA oil + water with them.

This morning I decided to give wipers another go. They seem like a decent idea in freezing temperatures because my fingers stay drier and warmer.

I'd planned to use my regular napa oil / water mixed with some RV antifreeze to keep things liquid but was out of RV antifreeze. I decided to give the Mpro-7 a go.

I've never had a GG bullet shoot with such a perfect bore after a mornings shooting. Not so much as a spec of lead or a hit of carbon. The bore was as clean as if I'd been shooting paper patched bullets. It seems to me that if the bore is so consistent between shots there is a lot of potential there. I'll definitely be experimenting with this more to see if I can get it to shoot as accurately as with regular wiping.

The only real trouble I found was that Mpro-7 starts to freeze after a while.

Chris.
desert deuce

Re: I might be on my way to being an Mpro 7 user.

Post by desert deuce »

Made the switch to Mpro-7 "CLEANER", couple years ago. I put two felts on the spike with the spike almost sticking out of the outside/top one.
Then dip in Mpro-7 cleaner until the bubbles stop then place them felts down in a plastic 50 round Berry's box for 308

Extract fired ctg case and expeditiously push bore bug up until the first felt just passes the chamber transition, 2.25" square cotton patch "damp" 1-12 water soluble oil (trim-sol, EBAY) one gallon makes 12 gallons. Put the patch on cleaning rod and push up against tail of bore wipe and push through barrel, slowing for last four inches. (Read the patch as it comes out the muzzle and also make sure the patch does not hang up in the muzzle before reloading.) If the patch is black, run another bore wipe and patch. This rarely happens, but it may.

Don't forget to mop the chamber! :shock:

Use this for 40, 44 & 45 BPCR rifles. Only use one felt on 40 caliber.

If you have never had a case separation, and want one, just don't mop the chamber a couple of times in a row.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Zack, thanks for the detailed description of your process. It'll help me get this figured out I'm sure. I was shooting a 45-70 and didn't bother with mopping the chamber. I've had good luck doing that with short cases like the 40-65 & 45-70. If I forget to mop the chamber with a 2.4" or longer case, they'll definitely stretch. I haven't been so lucky as to separate a case in a long time, but I'm a lot more careful with the longer cases :-)

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

G-day Chris, the so called match or otherwise tight chambers with the 2.4 & 2.6 cases, in particular, stretch less and, basically don't separate, if proper chamber mopping is applied. Cases shorter than chamber length also are helpful in the longer cases. Not mopping these tight chambers pretty much ensures case separations (plural). One should get the message after three separations out of ten shots. :roll:

Seeing a dramatic narrowing of case mouth and/or the beginning of rifling marks at the mouth of the case is a clear warning of case stretching. :shock:

A bit of confession to reckless experimenting here: With A (one) 45-90 in a proper, not match/tight chambered individual 45-90, 2.375" COAL was established as the case length necessary to prevent case separations when not mopping the chamber, yet did not stop case stretching. But that is one rifle's chamber with both PMC and Starline annealed brass.

Same experience with the 40-65 & 45-70 that you relate. :wink:

(PS - I know that you know most of this already. However, others may benefit from the information.)
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

" Only use one felt on 40 caliber." Wow, next thing you know somebody is going to test to see whether or not some rifles need the felt sloppy soaking wet and some just barely damp....
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Don,

Already being done. In my ,40-65, I use 1 felt, dipped for 1 sec or so in MPro-7, followed by an arsenal patch wet with Mpro-7, with all free water removed by squeezing in a potato ricer, with no chamber mop. Seems to do a great job removing the fouling and producing a consistent bore condition. In more than a year of use, no case stretch. Qualification: the warmest, driest ditch I've shot was last summer at Raton.

Clarence
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Chris, check my Jan 16 post above
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Oh I definitely paid attention to that one Zack. So far in the 45-70 the Mpro7 on BACO wipers coupled with napa/water on patches has worked out pretty well. I still get a little better results with 3 damp patches, but the wipers are getting closer. What surprised me is how differently the rifle shot when followed up with a dry patch vs the one damp with NAPA oil/water. That rifle still needs a little more load development.

I will try and get ahold of some of that trim sol and give it a go.

I am going to head to Worland again for the midrange match. It's been a long time since I've been there. I will probably take one of my trusty 40-65's, but may switch to a 45 and use wipers. It's a tossup either way as I've run out of my two favorite lots of Swiss 1.5 ( 010.213 & 270.613). I had some seriously accurate loads with them. Now, for my 40-65 midrange rifle I've got some 18/01/2016. It's a little denser than both of my old lots, but still seems to want a few more grains of powder to get it to shoot really well.

Chris.