2024 Desert International Target Rifle Championship

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Aviator

2024 Desert International Target Rifle Championship

Post by Aviator »

Well, the first day of the Desert International Black Powder Target Rifle Match is finished, and some very good shooting was performed by the ones that ended up at the top of the list!
Today we didn’t actually shoot black powder. This day is a side match, shooting 22’s at 200 yards, and is not part of the overall Ironman aggregate. We shoot 20 record shots at each of 3 targets: a standard 200 yard SR target, a reduced 300 yard target (MR-42), and a reduced 600 yard target (MR-52). The targets get progressively smaller as the day proceeds.
Today was predicted to have 10 to 15 mph wind, gusting to 25, and I think the forecast turned out to be pretty accurate.
The top spot on the list today was captured by a very good shooter from Norway.
22LR Aggregate_2024 Desert International.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenny Wasserburger

Re: 2024 Desert International Target Rifle Championship

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Excellent scores

Thanks for posting them.

Kenny
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

And now the 2nd day of the Desert International is in the books.
At the beginning of the day, it was far from a sure thing that we would get the planned shooting completed, due to the fairly high probability of rain. But the rain held off for us, until the equipment was packed back in our vehicles, and then a complete double rainbow appeared. The winds were predicted to be 10 to 15 mph, with gusts to 25 mph, and I think that’s pretty close to what we experienced.
This was the first day of Black Powder Target Rifle, and we each shot two 15 shot relays at 500 yards.
You will also notice that we have seven Muzzle Loader rifles in the mix, and four persons who have elected to shoot Rifleman category (which means no wind coaching).
There will likely be a more comprehensive match report at a later date. For now, I need to get back to preparing equipment and materials for tomorrow’s shooting. Six more days to go in this Black Powder Target Rifle Extravaganza!
500 Yard_2024 Desert International.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Aviatior, (Steve) is busting his ass to make this match go off seamlessly. Similarly, DesertDuece is running the whole show (via radio) and spotting for a near-retard level shooter (me)…

Can’t really give enough thanks to those two. Steve would be an easy top four shooter if he could only focus in on what he needs to do.

There’s lots of people sitting at home who need to figure out a way to come out and support these matches. Emotional support from the couch does not count. Showing up counts.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

I wanna be clear that I’m not trying to bust peoples balls for being snowed in or otherwise unable to attend. Just really concerned that if our participation numbers stay low or even decline it’ll be really hard to get range time for matches in the future.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

JonnyV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:48 am I wanna be clear that I’m not trying to bust peoples balls for being snowed in or otherwise unable to attend. Just really concerned that if our participation numbers stay low or even decline it’ll be really hard to get range time for matches in the future.
You bring up an excellent point.

But to those of us who have for years have attended the match, not being able to attend this year :roll:. Your comments are a bit, shall we say, full of hubris. As a relatively new shooter who shot gongs and now has found paper shall we say. You sound like someone who found religion late in life, and now wants to lecture the perceived heathens, on the glory of Midrange and Creedmoor.

Instead your very sharp tongue should be directed to the peanut gallery that have never attended.
It is an excellent match. I lived in Phoenix for two years back in the 80’s and shot at Ben Avery quite often.

In 2007 Jimbo, Harlin Sage and myself returned to Ben Avery and we shot Steve Rhoade’s match, oddly enough I don’t recall your being in attendance. Nor the many years following, and it’s a lot of years Jon. In 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, and 2023 we attended this excellent venue, it’s difficult to attend every year, and with the date change it’s hard to attend. Weather wise this time last year Wyoming travel was near impossible. This year has been strange and definitely the exception rather than the rule.

We need to continue to post information and share how great a match this is. So far you’ve done a good job of this on FB. It is a great experience, it is a terrific facility that folks can use. We need to impress this on others especially prospective new shooters. And I know quite a few of the new ones attending this year, including you.

Another thing to discuss there at the match dinner and meetings. Get the dates back to late March split the weeks use the High power range Monday through Thursday with Friday through Sunday for the bigger venues to use the range. We know it gets warm there the later we have shot there.

Push for splitting the venue up like I mentioned, Bill Lethridge couldn’t seem to wrap his head around that last year. It would be a good way to overcome some of the weekend challenges.

Keep at it Jon.

Kenny W
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Points allowed Kenny. I thought better of my wording on that post but this forum does not allow editing after even a few minutes.

As an FNG in this sport, I have a lot of enthusiasm which boils over with some frequency. I will not be able to attend all the matches I would like this year or the next four years as I am unable to get out of this working thing that I’m stuck with. I will attend every one that I can.

Had good discussion with Zack today on this topic and the situation in general. Hopefully, there will be a move towards progress that many shooters can take part in.

I am under the impression that these were the only dates Zack could get. He may be able to clarify this. We did discuss trying to run two events here in a year, but there was concern about attendance for that as well. Some other things we talked about have been covered on this forum lately. There’s a lot of work to be done.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Any more scores?
Tom Klinger
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Yes there are! I meant to post every evening, but the last two I just ran out of time to get everything done to be ready for the next day.

For the day at 600 yards, the winds were somewhat lower gusts, but it was a tail wind with LOTS of reversals, which made for a challenging day.
600 Yard_ 2024 Desert International.jpg

And then at 800 yards, the winds were quite variable, but not nearly as many reversals as the 600 yard day.
800 Yard_ 2024 Desert International.jpg

As near as I can tell, a good time is being had by all in attendance! :D
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Come on Blair!!👍
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

900 Yards today!
Another day with beautiful weather. Winds were not particularly strong, and always came from right to left, but were quite variable. You had to keep paying attention!

900 Yard_ 2024 Desert International.jpg
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Dry days finally ran out for us when we got to the 1000 yard line yesterday, for the first day of three at that distance. The forecast was for the chance of rain to increase to near 100% by 2pm. So, we took a vote and decided to change from 15 shot relays to 10 shot relay in order to get done earlier in the day. This turned out to be a good decision, as the forecast was actually fairly accurate, and we finished shooting by about 2pm. The winds were quite variable, but some folks figured it out quite well.

1000 Yard_ Day 1_2024 Desert International.jpg
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Today we shot the second of three days at 1000 yards. Again, the forecast called for a high probability of rain, and we elected to shoot 10 shot relays again, rather than 15. This time the rain arrived earlier than we had hoped. We completed the first round of targets, and started on the second round when the skies opened up with rain and small hail. Targets and equipment got soaked, and the decision was made to call the day. At least we got one round in.....
The wind was again quite variable.

1000 Yard_ Day 2_2024 Desert International.jpg
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks for keeping us informed Steve.
Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Well, today was the final day of the Desert International Black Powder Target Rifle Match here in Phoenix.
This day is a little different from all of the previous days, in that everyone must shoot without any wind-coaching. This is an opportunity to put to use wind-reading skills which you have learned in the previous days.

Today we had plenty of wind to try to read......., 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph is what was forecast, and it probably was pretty close to that.
There also was plenty of rain in the forecast.......

The plan is for everyone to shoot two 10 shot relays, with maximum of 3 sighter shots in each relay.
We made it thru the first round with just a few raindrops. However, we were right on the edge of the rain band, and the rain started in earnest while the first group was shooting the second relay. The targets were so wet after that the match had to be called complete, and so only the first round could be counted.

1000 Yard_ Day 3_2024 Desert International.jpg