Who's in California?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

James M

Who's in California?

Post by James M »

I'm a really green newbe from Pasadena, CA. I've been staying up late reading every post here. I do not have a rifle yet, just a Uberti 1851 Navy. I'm hoping I could hookup with one of you guys in So Cali. I'd value any amount of time one of you could spare.
deerhuntsheatmeup

lots

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

There are lots of California shooters on this board. Some one will jump in here and help you out I am sure. I live down south and have 1 little bit of advice for you. DON'T talk politics with the California boys. Sometimes it causes us to stick our foot in our mouth. Later, David Barfield
Mike Hansen

Re: Who's in California?

Post by Mike Hansen »

Hi James,

I'm in San Diego and have been enjoying my Montana-made Sharps reproductions for a few years, now. The fun part is deciding what model you want, the bad parts are finding the money and the wait after ordering. But it's all worth it. :)

Below is a listing of shooting ranges sorted by state. You might find one or two convenient to you.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp

Take care,

Mike
from Shiloh:
1874 "Military Carbine" (7 1/2 lb, 22" bbl) in .45-70
1874 "Sporter #1" (25 lb, 34" bbl) in .45-70, rechambered to .45-110
RMulhern

Who's in Kalifornia

Post by RMulhern »

49, 900,500 SQUIRRELS!! :D :lol: :roll:
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Sharpsman,

?????????

Barvid
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Deerhunts,

Your comment about sticking one's foot in mouth, well thats what Sharpsman did, you know the saying, open mouth and insert foot. Well Sharpsman opened mouth and inserted key board.
:lol:
Kelley O. 8)

James M.,

A silhouette match will be shot at Pala, Pala is down by Fallbrook on the Pala indian reservation, this weekend. If your interested I can give directions.

Kelley O. 8)
RMulhern

Who from California

Post by RMulhern »

Kelly

You're just trying to stir up some BS! :(

The post was in jest....if you knew the difference!

I figure there's at least 500 BPCR shooters out that way...that know what they're doing! :roll: :lol: :roll:
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Sharpsman,

Hummmmmm, jest , well, who would have thought. In jest or not your remark was insulting. Maybe it's you who's trying to stir up the B'S.. DO YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE? And you knew exactly what you were doing no matter how many face thingies you put in place. You don't insult me and my place of home and I won't insult you and your place of home. :wink: There's a face thingie.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Sharpsman,

I'm going to amend my rebuttle to your post. You say your first post was in jest. I say my first post to you was in jest. Your second post to me was to insult me, there were three insults direct at me in that second post. I inturn insulted you in my last post. It's real easy to let these things get out of hand, as this could, which I for won't let this happen. I've never met you and in all likely hood never will, you don't shoot competitively and have let it be known that you won't shoot competitively. So I, in all likely hood, will never meet you. Now thats not saying that I would never like to meet you because that would be an untrue statement, because we my meet some day and hopefully it would be a pleasent meeting.

Kelley O. 8)
James M

Post by James M »

Thanks Mike & Kelley. I don't know any gun owners, so I'll try visiting the San Gabriel Gun Club as a start.....I feel like I'm "in the closet".
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

James M.,

The San Gabriel gun club doesn't have BPCR shooters shooting there. They only shoot regular rifles. If you want to see the real thing come to Pala. Pala is about an hour and half drive for you from Pasadena.

Kelley O. 8)
HvyMtl

Who's in Californis

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi James M.

Do what Kelly O. says, if you want to get into this type of shooting. Your kind of lucky because the closest BP silhouette, or long range target shooting from me is at least three and a half hours away. I drove those hours to Shippingsberg PA. two weekends ago and it was well worth it. I didn't do very in the silhouette match but I did meet a lot of very nice people, who helped me out quite a bit, and I had a great time.

Ken
cruzurr

Re: Who's in California?

Post by cruzurr »

James M.

In addition to being close to Pala you also live in the backyard of one of the best custom mould makers for BPCR, Paul Jones. Paul's business, Grindall, is in east LA and when you're ready to cast your own you should plan on paying him a visit. Not only will he make you a superb mould but he will also show you how to cast with it if you arrange a visit to his shop. Tell him Phil sent you :) Come join us at Pala, BPCRS is a kick! pun intended....
James M

Post by James M »

Pala sounds great Kelley, how do I get there? I'm definitely going to check that out. Is there a website? San Gabriel Gun Club says they have black powder 200-Yard Buffalo Silhouette Match every second Sunday of the month. I'll look into that too on the 11th. I discovered Fowler's, a store that has quite a few Shilohs in stock. I might buy my "trainer" sharps there while waiting for my Shiloh order, then use their FFL when my ordered Shiloh is ready. I still need everything, I ordered the Dixie catalog so i can circle things, and tear out pages like I did with the Sears Christmas Catalog when I was ten. The budget for the my toe-in-the-water Sharps is up to $1000. Any suggestions? I'll need everything from dies & molds, to a brass cleaner and led melter.. where to start :shock:
James M

Post by James M »

New Plans. I'm raising my starter Sharps budget, and getting a plain but great Shiloh, while my full-option Shiloh incubates. My interest is in non-competitive silhouette. I still need to be fitted for reach, and find out what calibre I can shoulder.
(I'm a small guy...)