Powder measure

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: Powder measure

Post by gunlaker »

My experience has been the opposite. I'm way happier with my MVA measure than I was with my Lyman 55. More consistent and easier to adjust.

Chris.
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I have 2 of the Lyman's, a grey one I use for smokeless and an older orange one I use for black. The plastic hopper was loose on the orange one so I popped it out and replaces it with a brass hopper that started life as a scrap piece of brass that was used to make brass beds. I guess I got lucky or something at the time as the brass is the same outside diameter as the original plastic hopper. A little work with a dremel tool and some super glue and I have a nice big hopper. I don't think it quite holds a pound but its enough for me and it is more than the standard plastic hopper.
Sam
Luke

Post by Luke »

Belding & Mull. It's what the MVA design is based on. Find them on eBay. More consistent with BP than the 55.
Limber Up!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Been using an Orange Lyman 55 since 1965, Have the Black Lyman 55 a Lyman #6 and a Belding & Mull. I "HEAR" the MVA is the best out there but have no first hand knowledge with one.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Seen a Belding & Mull on eBay. Says it measures 0-50. So would you have to make to drops of powder to get what your looking for. Thanks
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Just buy an adjustable drop tube from MVA. It will hold all you need to charge for BPCR's.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Big drum rcbs uniflow has worked fine for me. bobw
bobw
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Graybeard wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:36 pm Seen a Belding & Mull on eBay. Says it measures 0-50. So would you have to make to drops of powder to get what your looking for. Thanks
Just use a modified 1/2" diameter adjustable muzzle loader powder measure as your charge tube. Most go to 120 grains.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I bought an MVA Belding & Mull style measure about 15 years ago - it works very well and is very well made - I’d say the quality is way better than an original Belding & Mull. Can’t say for smokeless - I use a Harrells precision for the smokeless.
VBull

Post by VBull »

I've used multiple drop tubes for my Belding & Mull made from brass, aluminum and Delrin. They are all .500 OD but have different ID's. I use a 1/4" ID for use with a small diameter ball powder (Accurate 1680) that jams up every other measure I have. I've made a 5/16" and 3/8" ID drop tubes for use with small powder charges for the 32-40 and 38 calibers. I've always used volumetric measure for Black Powder. Only using the weigh scale to set up the drop tube.
For smokeless, I set up the drop tube for a particular weight. The smaller diameter ID of the "plunger" allows a taller powder column which makes a more consistent drop. I've also found Delrin keeps powder from sticking to the barrel of the drop tube.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

VBull, For black powder, are you saying you don't weigh charges other than to initially set the powder tube to throw the weight you want? Without consistent powder weights how is long range accuracy affected, say for a 45-70? And what about consistent powder volume height within the case? Do you use a long drop tube to achieve that or is that variable not critical? I'm think 2-3 gains of powder weight inconsistency by volume measure. I've been loading by volume with a 24 inch drop tube and have tried 6 inch without noticing a difference. I don't particularly enjoy reloading and try go keep it as simple as possible. I use the MVA powder measure.
Luke

Post by Luke »

The 0-50 on the B&M measure does not correspond to any powder weight. It's just a scale for reference. With the measure set at 40, my B&M drops a hair over 70 grains of my current lot of OE 2f. I reset with an electronic scale each time I change to another 1# can of powder.
Limber Up!
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Oh ok thanks. How much powder does it hold ?? The powder tube doesn’t look very tall. And thanks to everyone for there input and knowledge.
Luke

Post by Luke »

I'd say 90 with the original B&M tube. I also use the MVA micrometer measure with my B&M, it holds quite a bit more.
Limber Up!
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

My MVA metering tube holds at least 110 grains and then some - that’s with some crappy 1f schuetzen powder I have - it should hold even a little bit more in the smaller granulations. It’ll hold enough powder to reload for just about anything you can throw at it.